IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There seems to be an attitude in high tech that you can just
get someone off the street with the perfect creditials and resume, have them start immediately, fire them when the job is done, and not to have to do any training.

But the reality is that a good person can learn new stuff and do a good job, and that for any company worth its keep, there is a tremendous amount of specialized domain knowledge that can't be transferred in a week.

Maybe a return to more private companies would be a good; I work for one (family owned company), and they do not practice fire at will.

--Tony
New When it is simple
to scan the globe and hire at will and with ease (something outsourcing and H1B allows), its not an attitude..it is pretty much a fact.

The reality is that the talent exists in this country but maybe not the specific skills (that can be learned)

Making it financially more efficient to train that to hire outside will help...twas my point. I think we agree.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Financially viable to hire
better trained people or more skilled people to get things done better. Without the language barrier H1B presents as well.

MANY times the H1Bs are not nearly the candidate the company is thinking. But it doesn't matter as they are CHEAP!
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New AMEN.
Its not just DOMAIN knowledge.

It is also work routines and methods. I do a helluvalot of mentoring where ever I go. I try to help raise the overall knowledge in the business/organization to allow me to pursue greater improvements. Giving you my knowledge of "howto fix things" or "how to diagnose better" or "recognise patterns in chaos", means I can let others do easier work and lets me focus on really tedious and nasty work nobody else wants to do.

Companies just do not understand why they need someone like that, until they have one. Then they want one, until 90% of the crap work is done. Then dump them off at the local un-employent office once that 10% that will never get done is left.

Sometimes even fighting the unemployment.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
     I have just thought about this... - (folkert) - (14)
         Agree in principle to some of this - (bepatient) - (4)
             There seems to be an attitude in high tech that you can just - (tonytib) - (3)
                 When it is simple - (bepatient) - (1)
                     Financially viable to hire - (folkert)
                 AMEN. - (folkert)
         Give H-1B green cards for 5 years - (tonytib)
         The hard part - (JayMehaffey) - (7)
             Be an extremist - (drewk) - (3)
                 Question - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                     States have borders, too - (drewk) - (1)
                         and there's the little matter of the Commerce Clause -NT - (tonytib)
             answer to all, apply davis bacon rules -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 How does typing relate to this? - (folkert) - (1)
                     That was quick, you lazy brown fox! -NT - (bepatient)

It was the internet of the day. It was delivered by Fiber Coptics.
46 ms