IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Excuse me?
Co that through 3 generations (and millions of stockholders) has employed hundreds of thousands...likely millions, has financially supported millions more through retirement years.

You would have wiped that out in 1947, before it even happened. For fear that someone might inherit daddy's money and that someday that might lead to "Dynasty".

Really strong argument you make there, Ash.

Ford's (company) issues are not family problems. Their success was built on SUV sales and leading the design curve in the late 80s. The 500 is a Chrysler clone...they've lost their edge.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Eh?
The 500 is a Chrysler clone.

I don't think so.

2006 Ford 500:

[image|http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:5ONrOKIec9VdEM:http://designpurity.com/img/cars/ford.500.side.jpg|0|Ford 500 Side view|89|120]

1999 VW Passat:

[image|http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:jDZHggh9_Mw8BM:http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/longterm/vw.passat/99.vw.passat.ltu.july.500.jpg|0|1999 VW Passat|82|130]

Ford scaled up the late 1990s VW Passat to make the 500. It's a fine looking car, and having 4WD as an option is nice, but it's about 5 years too late to market.

Like most US companies, Ford (and GM and Chrysler) rode the SUV wave too long and didn't invest in efficient car production. Toyota and Honda are eating away at their market share and continuning to turn over product cycles faster than the big 3. Korean makers are eating the low end and it's only going to get more and more difficult to make money as over-capacity problems continue to get worse.

Most of Henry's stock ended up at the Ford Foundation, which diversified over the years. I don't know if more draconian inheritance taxes would have changed much for them (since the taxes were in place at the time).

The TAC story is interesting, and it is a possible future for Ford. But I doubt it'll go that way. US auto prodution may dry up, or continue to shrink, but I don't think Ford is going to get out of that business worldwide any time soon. Ford still has lots of advantages that Sudebaker didn't. And Ford has been in similar dire straits before, as Halberstam covered in [link|http://www.amazon.com/Reckoning-David-Halberstam/dp/0380721473/sr=8-1/qid=1162656393/ref=sr_1_1/103-9749923-9889413?ie=UTF8&s=books|The Reckoning].

My guess is that the Big 3 and their important suppliers will eventually dump their pensions on the [link|http://www.pbgc.gov/|PBGC] and the unions will be forced to accept much lower wages and benefits. It's hard to see them producing cars at a profit any other way. Along with those changes, I expect the big 3 to shrink from eleventy-seven divisions and brands to less than a handful (Toyota gets by in the US with 3 and Honda 2) and that production lines will be eventually be much more flexible.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New My first take
was the 500 was an attempt by Ford to copy the Chrysler 300. In style AND naming convention.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Ford had a 500 in the 50s-70s (1957 Fairline 500).
It may have been a reaction to the original 300, but they've had the naming for a long time. I think the car styling owes much more to the VW than the recent 300, myself.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Flashback
I owned a '60 Ford Fairlane 500, in the early 70's.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
     CRC: Truth/cars link - (Ashton) - (48)
         Excuse me? - (bepatient) - (4)
             Eh? - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 My first take - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Ford had a 500 in the 50s-70s (1957 Fairline 500). - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Flashback - (jbrabeck)
         Re: CRC: Truth/cars link - (pwhysall) - (42)
             I'll accept alternatives: I ain't The LRPD - (Ashton) - (41)
                 What's wrong with capital-accumulation? - (pwhysall) - (40)
                     Society has costs that have to be borne by someone. - (Another Scott) - (15)
                         50% of the costs are borne by less than 2% of the people - (boxley)
                         Re: Society has costs that have to be borne by someone. - (pwhysall)
                         Consider Microsoft? - (pwhysall)
                         Re: Society has costs that have to be borne by someone. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                             Struck a nerve, did I? - (Another Scott) - (10)
                                 Re: Struck a nerve, did I? - (pwhysall)
                                 please prove point one - (boxley) - (8)
                                     Why 200 years? - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                         Now explain why your examples - (boxley) - (6)
                                             And ask Carnegie about giving back - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                 Thing about Carnegie - (drewk) - (1)
                                                     Standard view of society - (bepatient)
                                             I guess I'm not making myself clear. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 I dont think you understand economics very well - (boxley)
                                                 Re: I guess I'm not making myself clear. - (pwhysall)
                     Its great to talk about personal freedoms to a point - (bepatient) - (4)
                         No - if they gave it away for parks and museums . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                             Right, those whose free choice wasn't the one you wanted;-) -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                                 No 'free choice'? Exactly!___when the current math + laws - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     There is a choice - (bepatient)
                     Rich people use more of the commons - (tuberculosis)
                     What's wrong with capital-accumulation? - (Seamus) - (17)
                         tax it once is the only fair method, even the freakin mob - (boxley) - (16)
                             Money is taxed many times - (JayMehaffey) - (15)
                                 it wasnt your money then was it? - (boxley) - (14)
                                     Bah. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                         couple of points - (boxley)
                                         Taxation affects economic development. - (static) - (3)
                                             Easy - (drewk) - (2)
                                                 Hmm. - (static)
                                                 I don't like that idea much. - (Another Scott)
                                     No, but I'm the one paying - (JayMehaffey)
                                     Wasn't yours before you inherited it either, was it? - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                         If you were willing to flat rate the tax Im with you -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                             Why should I? WTF does one have to do with the other??? -NT - (CRConrad)
                                         Cap Gains tas is lower not by coincidence - (bepatient) - (3)
                                             they are already building big houses they cant sell - (boxley)
                                             Is this *also* a coincidience? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                 I'm not coming down on ANY side. - (bepatient)

Filtering out the sesame seeds.
162 ms