IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Semantics question
Suppose you are indoors with the air conditioning running and you decide that you are a little bit too cool:

Do you turn the air conditioning up or down to increase the temperature?
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Neither.
I turn the thermostat down. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Neither
I use a swamp cooler and if it's too hot than I turn off the pump and leave the fan running. The other adjustment is to close windows (unlike AC, swamp coolers work best in rooms with open windows and you can adjust temperatures in different parts of a house/building by adjusting which windows are open)
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Ooh, flashback
I had a swamp cooler when I was in California. I was just explaining to someone yesterday how they (supposedly) work. Actually, learning how they work, and why regular A/C didn't out there, was how I learned about A/C.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Prolly regular AC would work OK too
But swamp coolers become less efficient as the ambient RH goes up: once air is saturated via original water + that added via evap. cooler: it no longer workee :[ NG in Miami fershure.

But where you can use them - lots less $/hr and first cost. (Though I was surprised at what a recent mobile-home replacement cooler cost, considering how utterly simple is a box with a motor and a squirrel-cage blower) Kinda like noting how near diesel fuel costs now VS gasoline -- given the much less cheaper processing. Must all be taxes. Of course too: they stink. OK - hike the price.

A.
New Down, since it is the level of conditioning to which u refer
That's her, officer! That's the woman that programmed me for evil!
New Neither...
...since in Texas you can never quite get too cool during the air conditioning season.
New Ain't that the truth!
Freaking A/C set on 76, fans going, and it's still slightly warm. Only cool enough when you sit completely still and don't move.

Gotta love Texas.

-Jason
----

My pid is Inigo Montoya. You "killed -9" my parent process. Prepare to vi.
New Heh
Freaking A/C set on 76, fans going, and it's still slightly warm. Only cool enough when you sit completely still and don't move.

I knew there was a reason I moved outta Texas...

:)
-YendorMike

In order to understand recursion, one must understand recursion.
New Visit the computer room lately?
Ours(in SW Houston) is pretty cool.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Shock to the system
I worked in downtown Dallas (at the Infomart) for a couple of years where they kept the whole building in freezing cold. Worse I worked in the server room where it was kept at a constant 62 degrees. Had to wear long sleeves even in the middle of summer.

At the time, my commute was about 45 minutes to an hour and my pickup didn't come equipped with air conditioning. It was quite a shock to the system to spend 8 hours in the cold and then drive home in stop and go traffic with the windows rolled down and above a hundred degrees outside.

I've subsequently sworn off working in server rooms and have invested in air conditioning for my wheels. :-)
New I turn it clockwise.
Of course, the details may depend on your unit.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New I like that one best. :-)

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Re: Semantics question
I push the little lever to the right. I don't turn anything.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New Re: Semantics question
It sorta depends on if I have my brain set to program mode or colloquial mode. I think that the literal answer is "down" if you want the temp to go up and the electric bill to go down, since (as already stated) the word "down" modifies "air conditioning".

This type of literalism gets me in trouble sometimes, as in "Do you not want this drink on the counter?" to which I say "no" if I want it, "yes" if I don't. Usually this results in the drink getting dumped. The Jargon File comments on this somewhere.
[link|http://www.mearth.org/rowan/index.htm|Here] is why I can't come up with a clever sig this year.
New You're thinking of this entry.
[link|http://tuxedo.org/jargon/html/Hacker-Speech-Style.html|Hacker Writing Style]

Wade

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Semantics question - (drewk) - (15)
         Neither. - (admin)
         Neither - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
             Ooh, flashback - (drewk) - (1)
                 Prolly regular AC would work OK too - (Ashton)
         Down, since it is the level of conditioning to which u refer -NT - (tseliot)
         Neither... - (ChrisR) - (4)
             Ain't that the truth! - (jlalexander) - (1)
                 Heh - (Yendor)
             Visit the computer room lately? - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                 Shock to the system - (ChrisR)
         I turn it clockwise. - (marlowe) - (1)
             I like that one best. :-) -NT - (static)
         Re: Semantics question - (wharris2)
         Re: Semantics question - (rickw) - (1)
             You're thinking of this entry. - (static)

Aim towards the Enemy.
125 ms