IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One comment
The north and south are a lot less dangerous for westerners; that doesn't mean they're not less dangerous for Iraqis.

Also, the report measures excess mortality, not deaths in combat, by comparing mortality before and after the war. A lot of those people probably got seen off by bad water and broken medical systems, not by a bullet. When you talk about the 100-150 in Baghdad per day, you're talking about the people who were murdered, not the kids that died of dysentry.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Good points.
I have no doubt that mortality due to bad water and sanitation, lack of medical care due to fear of violence, etc., is higher in Iraq now than pre-conflict. (By pre-conflict, I leave it to the reader to choose pre-Iran/Iraq war or pre-2003 war.)

My skimming of the Lancet article and stories about it indicate that the numbers in the news are mostly "excess" deaths were due to violence. E.g. [link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/11/AR2006101101498.html|Washington Post]:

The new study _ which attributes roughly 600,000 of the deaths directly to violence and 55,000 more to other war-related causes _ was released Wednesday on the Web site of The Lancet, a respected medical journal. But just how good is its conclusions?

I believe that the Baghdad morgue figures in the news are similarly deaths due to violence.

Something I haven't seen reported is the gender breakdown of the deaths. I assume the vast majority of deaths are among males. Except in the deaths due to bombings of various kinds, I would suspect that the vast majority of the violence is male upon male and that it's less random than the raw statistics might lead one to believe. Don't misunderstand me, though. It's no less horrible for a young man to be murdered standing in line to get petrol or a job than it is for a young woman collecting food or water to be.

It's such a mess over there. :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
     Report: 300K - 900K dead since 2003 Iraq invasion - (lincoln) - (19)
         It seems very high to me. - (Another Scott) - (7)
             MIT Epidemiology Study - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                 Yeahbut... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     Back off man, they're scientists - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                         :-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Iraq Body Count response to Lancet story. - (Another Scott)
             One comment - (jake123) - (1)
                 Good points. - (Another Scott)
         It seems to be increasing.... - (dmcarls)
         25.4 million to go -NT - (boxley) - (2)
             That may take a couple more weeks... - (hnick) - (1)
                 Hey, there's enough of 'em, and apparently . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Ahem. Bullshit. - (marlowe) - (6)
             take a look at the guidelines, please adhere to them - (boxley) - (4)
                 No. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     then rewrite the guidelines -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                         No need - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             A-fscking-m*n! -NT - (Ashton)
             s/all over the place/in the blogs I like to read/ - (pwhysall)

Somewhere out there, a Big Cheetah is still running WordStar and extremely anal benchmarks...
41 ms