IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Critics who are down don't understand the Japanese story
Americans simply aren't used to having major portions of the plot be so dependent upon mysticism and symbolism. Watching a bird fly away after the death of a major character is unfortunately what most Americans would call "anti-climactic"; but here it is the entire resolution of the climax.

As far as the lip-synching goes (answering the previous post), I have to say that it was so much better than almost anything else out there, that I really enjoyed it--it wasn't jarring to me at all (okay, after the first 30 seconds :).
That's her, officer! That's the woman that programmed me for evil!
New I'll say...
Americans simply aren't used to having major portions of the plot be so dependent upon mysticism and symbolism.

I just say "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and the ending was a bit odd to me.
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New That's how I've been describing the film...
as very Japanese. This was quite a surprise to me after seeing the previews that painted it as some kind of animated version of 'Aliens'. Unfortunately, at the time I saw it, the audience consisted mostly of teenage boys who seemed a bit put off by the plot. I've been recommending this film to folks who got the wrong idea from the preview.

In a sense, it's kind of a 'chick flick'. At least, my wife liked it.

I've also found that many critics have trouble following the plots of sf/fantasy movies and on that basis give them lower marks. (for example, Siskel had this problem but Ebert didn't.)

New Interesting point.
About sci-fi/fantasy plots, I mean.

I'm part of a community theatre company* and the previous play we did was called "Communicating Doors". It involved time-travel as a fairly important plot-device via a door in a hotel suite - hence the title. But that made it a little unusual for much of our normal clientele, since they weren't used to that sort of thing. Oh, it was well-scripted, though it allowed history to be altered - not the way it should work by my way of thinking - but I remember my Dad couldn't follow it, even though he practically saw all 6 performances (he does the tech for it).

Hmm.

Wade.

* They used to be called amateur theatre.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Final Fantasy Movie - (JayMehaffey) - (9)
         Never played the games - (tjsinclair) - (4)
             Critics who are down don't understand the Japanese story - (tseliot) - (3)
                 I'll say... - (Fearless Freep)
                 That's how I've been describing the film... - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                     Interesting point. - (static)
         Huh? - (Fearless Freep) - (3)
             Attention spans ain't...what.. errr... I forgot. -NT - (addison)
             Not too surprising... - (inthane-chan)
             I can believe this. - (static)

When The Wall fell, I had a basement full of homebrew and a freezer full of venison here in The Land of the Free. All quite legal, unless I committed capitalism, in which case it becomes felonious.
42 ms