IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Evolution reply problem in Ubuntu 6.0.6
Hello there,

My wife is a long time Windows user. We bought her a new laptop for her birthday and I persuaded her to try Linux. My question is about replying to a message in Evolution. In Outlook when you reply the text you type is above the quoted text you are replying to. In Evolution, and most other UNIX mailers I have ever seen the reply text is below the quoted text. I know that this can be changed in Thunderbird but I would like to stay with Evolution. Does anyone know how to make Evolution place reply text above quoted text, including the signature?

TIA
Allan Nelson
New Re: Evolution reply problem in Ubuntu 6.0.6
First off, welcome to the crowd, Allan.

As far as your questions go...
In Outlook when you reply the text you type is above the quoted text you are replying to. In Evolution, and most other UNIX mailers I have ever seen the reply text is below the quoted text. I know that this can be changed in Thunderbird but I would like to stay with Evolution. Does anyone know how to make Evolution place reply text above quoted text, including the signature?
Go to:

Edit | Preferences | Composer Preferences | General Tab

There's a drop-down labeled "Reply style". Select "Quote Original Message".

When I have this option selected and I reply to a message, the original email is quoted, and the cursor is at the top of the email. Hit enter a few times, then go back to the top, and you can start typing with your reply above the original message.

As far as the signature goes...That appears to get put at the bottom of the email automatically. I'm not sure how to get it up with the reply via a setting.

Good luck,
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
     Evolution reply problem in Ubuntu 6.0.6 - (anelson) - (1)
         Re: Evolution reply problem in Ubuntu 6.0.6 - (Yendor)

I'm sure I've heard those last 3 lines in an unsavoury movie.
62 ms