Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Have you tried Applejack?
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New It's running now...
Bit of a kerfuffle to get it installed. Sorry if this all sounds like a whinge.

My old Safari (1.0.3) on my iBook didn't like their webpage, so I had to use IE...which more or less worked. Except it downloaded the dmg file as redir.php. I love IE :)

So I set the Mini up in Firewire target disk mode, to get applejack installed on it. The applejack installer refused to believe the Mini was running OS X, so I installed it on the iBook instead, and just copied the applejack.sh to the Mini.

I might send a friendly note to the applejack developers asking why one shell script needs it's own dmg. Seems a bit like overkill to me.

Anyway, it's currently running along merrily on the Mini so let's see what happens.

Thanks Scott!

Other irrelevant points about my iBook:
(a) Now I know why I haven't chucked it out yet!
(b) It's very slow compared to my Mac Mini, and the Mini is no speed demon
(c) It's still on 10.3 - I never noticed at the time, but now, the pinstriping on everything is actually kinda annoying.
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
Expand Edited by Meerkat Oct. 6, 2006, 12:16:11 AM EDT
New No joy. But I'll keep plugging away, and will report back.
New I think it's dead, Jim.
Well, things went from bad to, er, badder.

A friend suggested 'Archive and Reinstall' would work a treat. Fortunately it archived OK, but the reinstall left me with a blinking question mark folder instead of a booting Mac Mini... it's pretty enough in its own right not quite as productive as I was hoping.

In the end I decided to cut my losses - I could still get to Terminal via the Install disk, so I tar'd everything across to an external drive, and with a deep breath, went for the the full erase-and-reinstall.

Which consistently dies part way through. Hmm. I've tried swapping RAM (getting the case off that thing is still a bugger of a job), but no joy. Maybe I fried something, maybe it's bad Feng Shui, maybe it just doesn't like me. Regardless, it's not supplying a lot of joy right now. The error I get, 'BomFatalError - cpio read error: bad file format' has been thoroughly Googled... but not a lot of luck finding answers. The fact my Hardware Test CD keeps saying I have bad RAM doesn't bode well.

I'm trying to erase-and-resintall thing one more time, let's see what happens. I didn't want to have to buy a new iMac or something ... oh who am I trying to kid, of course I want one :) But I wasn't really expecting to do so a year after getting the Mac Mini.

So my old G3 iceBook is resuming (relatively) active service.

Sigh. Whinge. Moan. Etc.

New You might try and re-seating the RAM.
blow out the disk with a PPC linux distro. see what happens there.

IF all else... you can see what apple service says about it.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Yep I'll give it a go...
... I'll pry the wretched case off the thing one more time, to see if it is as simple as 'John can't install RAM properly'. I'm not denying that's a possibility :-)

I have a Ubunutu disc lying around - if I can't get OS X working, I might ahve myself a new Ubuntu box. Good thinking, Greg!
     So I can't login... - (Meerkat) - (8)
         Have you tried Applejack? -NT - (admin) - (5)
             It's running now... - (Meerkat) - (4)
                 No joy. But I'll keep plugging away, and will report back. -NT - (Meerkat) - (3)
                     I think it's dead, Jim. - (Meerkat) - (2)
                         You might try and re-seating the RAM. - (folkert) - (1)
                             Yep I'll give it a go... - (Meerkat)
         Re: So I can't login... - (Bman) - (1)
             It's a 1.25GHz G4. Maybe 1.42? Shame on me for forgetting! -NT - (Meerkat)

Iggy Pop in Daisy Dukes.
89 ms