IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This, from TheInquirer, makes a lot of sense to me.
[link|http://www.theinquirer.net/01020211.htm|Apple could easily migrate to X86].

Much of the code is portable, and Apple has experience running on different CPUs. But it doesn't make sense to run MacOS on a new architecture unless the existing CPU architecture has run out of steam. This is because some of the MacOS would have to be emulated until all the code was ported. Without a substantial speed delta in going to a new CPU, there won't be any performance benefit.

So don't expect MacOS-X/86 any time soon.

Cheers,
Scott.
New They would be silly to migrate to x86 now
Where the x86 architecture is going to go into its 64 bit future is still undecided.

Even if Apple wanted to make that switch, they would be best off either picking a 64-bit chip, or waiting until the dust clears somewhat.

Cheers,
Ben
New The only thing that I can see happen
is that Apple uses both a PowerPC and an AMD 64 bit chip in their new Macs. The OS will be written to use both processors. Maybe the AMD can be used for emulation software to emulate a PC, and run the X86 code natively while emulating the rest of the PC (BIOS, Video, Audio, etc).

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
     TheInquirer: Speculation on June MacExpo - Apple + AMD-64 - (Another Scott) - (4)
         The Mac rumor mill is grinding away again? - (nking) - (3)
             This, from TheInquirer, makes a lot of sense to me. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 They would be silly to migrate to x86 now - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     The only thing that I can see happen - (nking)

How much more blacker could this album cover get? None more blacker.
52 ms