IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Need tips for installing new distro
It looks like I've finally got the time to take this thing down and put a new distro on it with the new kernel. I've been on Redhat 6.2 with Gnome for the past year, and I figure it's time to try Debian with KDE (gotta see Konqueror finally) just for the experience. Can't tell which is better if I don't try them.

So anyway, is there anything I need to be especially careful of? I know to back up /home, and I'm a little worried about losing all my configuration stuff. Like getting Apache, PHP, Postgres, MySQL, etc. etc. etc. playing nice again. Are there any good ways to reduce the painfulness of this?

Oh, I also plan on getting Win4Lin, which needs a kernel recompile. Has this been automated in Debian yet?
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Win4lin...
Have you tested it yet?

I wasn't able to get it to work, I got an email from someone responding to my help desk ticket - apparently OEM copies of Windows don't (didn't) work.

Just to warn ya, trelos apparently (due to some mail) "forgets" this every time its reported. :)

Addison
New Oooh. Yeah.
What you NEED is a good, reliable TAPE BACKUP.

Have I mentioned I have a Exabyte 8505 for sale for $125? Will even toss in more tapes than you can use. :) (new, in the wrapper). :)

Heck, I'll even toss in a SCSI card for it (NCR (Symbios logic) 810 - verrrra nice. (I like SL *MUCH* better than Adaptec).

:)

*THAT'S* what you NEED. :)

Addison
New Thanks, but it's on the network
Just finished backing up across the wire to a machine that is taped each night. Thanks for the offer, though. Oh, and I should (hopefully) have the new image on tonight and be able to tell you if I got it working.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
     Need tips for installing new distro - (drewk) - (3)
         Win4lin... - (addison)
         Oooh. Yeah. - (addison) - (1)
             Thanks, but it's on the network - (drewk)

"Lord Vetinari won't stop at sarcasm. He might use" -- Colon swallowed -- "irony."
33 ms