IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thank You For Not Smoking
It's not a movie about smoking, but it's about a guy who's a lobbyist for the cigarette companies. It's all about him and his developing relationship with his pre-teen son. The acting is wonderful - they made it for $7.5 million, yet had Robert Duvall, Katie Holmes, Rob Lowe, and other big names all filling out a script that gives them great dialogue. The humor is cerebral and subtle in most places, so while it's billed as a comedy it's not a gag-a-minute type comedy.

Worth the rental.
lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New You got the name wrong
[link|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427944/|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427944/]

And yes,great movie.
Saw it 3 times so far.
New Do find and read the book
I will rent the flick presently, but the novel on which it was based is gut-bustingly funny. I employed it years ago as a commute read, and actually irritated some of my fellow passengers on BART (SF Bay Area subway analog) because I laughed aloud and loudly about every page and a half.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Auditioned
via a friend's Netflix.

Was distressed to note that the redoubtable [link|http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/03/DDG61LF0M11.DTL&hw=Thank+you+for+smoking+review&sn=001&sc=1000| Mick La Salle] -- this time around -- appears to have missed? dismissed the scale of subtlety via which it veritably encapsulates the zeitgeist of an entire class of Biz-felons.. their Pol-cohorts and the legions who, today make a living via blab-words and the routine daily attack upon reason itself.

(All accomplished.. without uttering the word hypocrisy.)

Methinks the lines where he explains to his son ~ "how you can always 'win' an argument" reveals that the target is solidly beyond the mere tobacco send-up.

What I think I like most about the direction, script, is that -- if you have to explain? the magnificence of the metaphor -- as, to someone who asserts that "they don't actually 'take a position' on smoking' and its corrupt marketers :-0" yada: You can't! (explain.) As re. 'recursion'?

Can well imagine, as Rand suggests - that the sourcebook could be so much More..

If this is a 'comedy' - so is Twain's War Prayer.

Thank You For Not Smoking - (lincoln) - (3)
         You got the name wrong - (broomberg)
         Do find and read the book - (rcareaga)
         Auditioned - (Ashton)

Ph34r the triple-recursive meta-LRPD.
187 ms