IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New be careful what you wish for....
in determining what is allowed and what is not, will set the precident for future Presidents, and I guarentee they will use it for items not to your liking.

Currently, the language is vague...allowing a popular or powerful president a lot of latitude. In providing strict guidelines (or stricter guidelines) a Clinton (or their like) could use it to their own end.
New I am completely fine with that.
You seem to misinterpret my point. Aside from this being a grandiose lesson in mental masturbation by a bunch of beaurocrats...clarification of these terms is >legally advisable<. Now that we have a press corp that is hell bent on taking anybody down that has a hint of celebrity (stars, athletes, politicians)...I can't say I would blame any one for wanting to make sure the rules were very clear.

Clinton made an art form of leveraging vague language. Hell, he pretty much had everyone agreeing that getting a hummer wasn't sex.
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
Expand Edited by bepatient Sept. 16, 2006, 03:50:53 PM EDT
New It sure as hell ain't that churchly fornication thing
but yes - obviously whatever-it-was, it was vastly more serious a High Crime and Misdemeanor than say - lying a country into an unlawful invasion of another country.

Maybe we shoulda impeached the bastard..

Nahhhh, that extremist stuff would be laughed away; what are we, Stupid?

New What about when the "clarification" is used on US troops?
Still fine? Waterboarding. It's not just for terrorists* anymore.

*They're terrorists until we let them go and say "Sorry, my bad".
-----------------------------------------
Impeach Bush. Impeach Cheney. Do it now.
New Considering the alternative
which is beheading...I'd say waterboarding would be a vacation.

We are the only side playing by these rules...in case you've missed me saying that for the umpteenth time.

Next time we go to war with France...I'd say subjecting our soldiers to waterboarding might then be an issue.

Look down the threat list. China didn't sign..and won't abide. N Korea. Iran. Darfur. Anybody on that list that you think would not, regardless of what the convention says...torture our military?

And yes...the larger issue is innocents trapped in the system.

And then there are those that worry that people just won't like us because of this. Sorry, they already don't like us...and its not what we do to prisoners making that happen...its our inconsistency in ME policy and our continued support of Israel that does that...and in 2 years I'm sure, regardless of this argument...that we'll change policies again.
New What other people do doesn't matter. What we do does.
The whole damn point of this exercise in global force-projection is that we have the moral high ground.

The minute we lower ourselves to "their" level, we've lost, no matter what the military outcome.

If we don't win the moral victory, we've won nothing at all.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
New Hear, hear!

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New No argument.
New No.
All we have to do is "further refine meanings." Then we've got the high ground again.

[image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]

bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New The altenative to waterboarding is beheading?
Bullshit.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

New Who would be capturing our troops?
Are you telling me that Danny Pearl wouldn't have rather been subjected to waterboarding?

BS yourself.
New So friggin' what?
Yo set up a false dichotomy.

So the 'choices' are waterboarding or beheading? If we don't want beheadings, we gotta waterboard?

Bullshit.

Since waterboarding is less bad than beheading, and the enemy used beheading, then waterboarding is OK?

Bullshit again.

Imric's Tips for Living

New You are missing the point.
and i didn't set up any dichotomy. Go up the thread.

What about when the "clarification" is used on US troops?

Others here are talking about US interrogators using this technique. My retort >to this title< was simply that captives of the current enemy would be lucky to be treated to the worst we have to offer...as the current MO of the enemy is beheading.

Follow along.
New FOLLOW ALONG?
I don't give a damn about what some other folks, current adversaries or future, do. It doesn't excuse us, it doesn't excuse our current administration's attempt to legalize and codify coercive abuse.

And have no illusions about that. By codifying abuse into law, that makes any changes a matter of degree, rather than category. Convenient. Changes of who is an 'enemy combatant' will also be able to be changed. Handy.

Follow along. Or wake up.

Imric's Tips for Living

New lest I have to repeat myself again
I have stated, repeatedly...I disagree with a great portion of the proposal...but I understand the desire to make it happen. This is not an endorsement. My statement has been ... the fact that we are having this discussion at all demonstrates superiority to the current and likely future enemies this country will face...and even if we "codify abuse"...that abuse is nothing near what our men at arms will face if captured.

New And that doesn't matter, dude.
None of it does.

"that abuse is nothing near what our men at arms will face if captured" is a rationalisation - and a weak one. 'I'm not as bad as he is' does not in any way mean 'I'm not bad'. The fact that our current abuses aren't as bad as our current foes' gives me no comfort at all. The fact that you are presenting that rationalisation as a 'statement' bothers me.

It should bother you too, Bill.

Imric's Tips for Living

Expand Edited by imric Sept. 17, 2006, 11:39:53 PM EDT
New Its not a rationalization
its simply a fact.

New Allow me to repeat myself
Don't be evil
New Why not, its more fun.
New You're troll-fu has been weak for awhile now
Just look at this thread.
New Haven't hit the warning track yet.
Have to have goals, you know.
New If it is a simple fact,
then why do you repeat it - unless you are trying to use it?

That 'simple fact' is being used by you as a rationalisation.

Riddle me this: Do YOU think that any level of coercive abuse should be codified into law?

Imric's Tips for Living

New I think we've missed his point
He has said he doesn't agree with it, just at he understands why Shrub wants to "clarify" the GC.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New Not quite.
As I've read him, Bill thinks it's important that the law be clarified so that there are sharp legal boundaries between permissible and impermissible interrogation techniques. He disagrees with other aspects of Bush's proposal (and I do as well).

I disagree; I think the present language of the GC is quite clear.

If I've misread him, I'm apparently not the only one.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Nope, you haven't.
Maybe the post to Imric will clarify even that.
New No
but I don't have to worry about being prosecuted nor having my employees prosecuted based on someones definition of humiliating or degrading. And the point earlier, ridiculous as it may seem, still stands. Does Sadam not being afforded 5 star accomodation reach the point of humiliating? Who decides?

The fact that we've become a headhunter culture for politicians, celebrities and the like means simply that they've got to think of these things not only in the vaguarity of simply "we, the people" but also in the very specific me and mine. This is why I've stated repeatedly that I understand the "need".

Personally, I'm more of an eye for eye person. If we catch the guys that stood on video and beheaded a captive...I'd stand them in front of the camera and do it back...only slower.
New No, it doesn't.
The point does NOT stand.

Especially that one.

So - NOT providing luxury is abuse? Nonsense. Using that as an argument for providing a framework for 'acceptable' coercive abuse? Ridiculous.

There is no part of this thing that is not evil.

That politicians want to be able to do it and not get in trouble for it is a measure of just how bad it is.

There is no excuse. There is no reason. Your statements are along the lines of "Well, since we gotta have abuse, we have to protect the people ordering it"

We do NOT have to have abuse.

We do NOT have to protect the bastards ordering it.

We do NOT have to fall to the level of our enemies to oppose them.

Imric's Tips for Living

New All valid points
but again, no one has given any defintion of what techniques are being discussed.

And Sadam was a head of state? Making him stay in a 10 by 10 would be, for some, humiliating. Yes it is a "stretch"...but it is not out of legal bounds in the current writing. Depending on culture, sticking a rubber glove up someone's tail may be considered degrading. Again, not protected in current writing.

So you keep insisting that I support torture or at least the protection of those ordering same...when all I continue to do is provide examples of where being nice to someone could still land those who are responsible in jail for doing nothing, hence understanding WHY they desire said cover and why it may be necessary. If for any other reason, removing the gray that allows GWB to come on TV and say "we had lawyers review what we did and it was legal"

My take.

Should the US CIA use waterboarding to gain info?

No.

Should they cut off fingers?

No.

Should they strip guys and stick them in a meat locker?

No.

Ok??
New Please quote what you're responding to.
You've said (above) that I'm wrong about my characterization of your posts, but you haven't done it with specificity. It seems to me that, in this reply, you're arguing that the law needs to be clarified, but you said that I'm wrong in that characterization.

Please lead me along step by step, because I still don't see where I'm wrong about what you're saying.

Or, just let this thread die and we'll try another day as we seem to be going round and round at the moment.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Your problem is with who you attribute the desire.
I >personally< don't care and >personally< find the need for this troubling. I also >personally< disagree with nearly all of the evidence rules proposed for tribunals.

I do, however, understand the administrations needs. Why the dichotomy? Because I don't anticipate ever being in a position ot be prosecuted based on vague language. Those in power have a completely different set of requirements than I, because they ARE in that position.

So, in short, I don't think it necessary, but I UNDERSTAND THE DESIRE of those who do.

If, in my position as a manager, I find myself in a position where my subordinates could be fired/jailed/reprimanded for >doing their job<..based on legal language that lacks specificity...I would likely AT LEAST MAKE THE ATTEMPT...to clarify the language before giving up altogether.

That is my point.

And some of the techniques used, though questionable, I do not think qualify as degrading or humiliating. Waterboarding is not one of those techniques. I believe that to be across the line...but >thinking< this and >prosecuting< this are separate. Which is why I keep giving the silly examples that I do. Someone, somewhere may think differently than we do...so applying those types of standards is inherently troubling, maybe not as troubling as the fact we are asking to make them ok, but troubling none the less.

New That's what I was trying to say
back here [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=267898|267898] when I said I thought we had missed your point. I didn't think it was YOUR opinion you were arguing, but you understood WHY it was being suggested.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New And my response was affirmative to you
a negative affirmative, anyway ;-)
New Technically speaking....
we aren't playing by the rules either.
     Bush pushes on terrorism proposal - (JayMehaffey) - (77)
         What's to clarify? - (jbrabeck) - (63)
             What, specifically, do those things mean? - (bepatient) - (62)
                 Good points, but... - (jbrabeck) - (52)
                     You and I agree on the SH point - (bepatient) - (51)
                         That I would agree too. - (jbrabeck) - (50)
                             What two things are the admin pushing? - (Silverlock) - (49)
                                 Its not >re< definition - (bepatient) - (48)
                                     It's not that difficult, IMHO. - (Another Scott) - (36)
                                         Gimme a break on that - (bepatient) - (35)
                                             I think we're talking past each other. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 Maybe not - (bepatient)
                                             be careful what you wish for.... - (Simon_Jester) - (32)
                                                 I am completely fine with that. - (bepatient) - (31)
                                                     It sure as hell ain't that churchly fornication thing - (Ashton)
                                                     What about when the "clarification" is used on US troops? - (Silverlock) - (29)
                                                         Considering the alternative - (bepatient) - (28)
                                                             What other people do doesn't matter. What we do does. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                                 Hear, hear! -NT - (imric)
                                                                 No argument. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                 No. - (mmoffitt)
                                                             The altenative to waterboarding is beheading? - (imric) - (22)
                                                                 Who would be capturing our troops? - (bepatient) - (21)
                                                                     So friggin' what? - (imric) - (20)
                                                                         You are missing the point. - (bepatient) - (19)
                                                                             FOLLOW ALONG? - (imric) - (18)
                                                                                 lest I have to repeat myself again - (bepatient) - (17)
                                                                                     And that doesn't matter, dude. - (imric) - (16)
                                                                                         Its not a rationalization - (bepatient) - (15)
                                                                                             Allow me to repeat myself - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                                                                                 Why not, its more fun. -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                     You're troll-fu has been weak for awhile now - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                                                         Haven't hit the warning track yet. - (bepatient)
                                                                                             If it is a simple fact, - (imric) - (10)
                                                                                                 I think we've missed his point - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                                                                                                     Not quite. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                         Nope, you haven't. - (bepatient)
                                                                                                 No - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                                                     No, it doesn't. - (imric) - (5)
                                                                                                         All valid points - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                             Please quote what you're responding to. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                                                                                 Your problem is with who you attribute the desire. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                                     That's what I was trying to say - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                                                                                                         And my response was affirmative to you - (bepatient)
                                                             Technically speaking.... - (Simon_Jester)
                                     This is so inherently a fool's errand, though - - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Exactly. - (Another Scott)
                                     Clarification defeats the purpose. - (Silverlock) - (8)
                                         Sure, I get it - (bepatient) - (7)
                                             Well, after all - (jake123)
                                             It's not like people aren't interrogated all the time. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 Chuckle - (bepatient)
                                             How do you know they're terrorists? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                 Valid point. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                     Oh, that's OK then. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                         That was nowhere near the point of that post - (bepatient)
                 Don't be evil -NT - (Silverlock)
                 the presidents argument is clearly wrong - (boxley) - (2)
                     Wrong? Possibly in extent he took it - (bepatient) - (1)
                         It's a long way - (imric)
                 Your being far to generous - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
                     Yes, and the fact that they can and Did proceed in this way - (Ashton) - (3)
                         Right...provable lies - (bepatient) - (2)
                             I never promised you a rose garden. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 I wouldn't want the job. -NT - (bepatient)
         Eventually he'll have to accept what he gets. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             I hadn't watched The McLauglin shout-extravaganza (PBS) much - (Ashton)
         everything old is new again (40KB image) - (rcareaga) - (4)
             WOW! - (lincoln) - (3)
                 Just lucky, I guess - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     Yes, I recognize that little girl - - (Ashton) - (1)
                         It's Ann Coulter -NT - (imqwerky)
         You know...this ignores the larger issue.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
             Shush! We gotta protect our Sekrets! - (Another Scott)
             What constitutes legal methods in GC and thus US law - (bepatient) - (2)
                 Have you seen the Senate Armed Services bill? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     They shouldn't have caved there. - (bepatient)
         Tom Malinowski OpEd at the Washington Post. - (Another Scott)

Well as long as I don't breathe, there's always a chance that I won't need oxygen.
398 ms