U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris sought Saturday to smother a campaign brushfire stoked by an earlier claim that failure to elect Christians to public office would allow lawmakers to "legislate sin."

Harris, appearing at a gun show in Orlando, said she did not mean to offend non-Christians in her comments to the Florida Baptist Witness last week. She explained that she referred exclusively -- and repeatedly -- to Christians because she was being interviewed by the weekly journal of the Florida Baptist State Convention.

"My comments were specifically directed toward a Christian group," said Harris, a Republican Senate candidate from Longboat Key.
[link|http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-harris2706aug27,0,6016837.story?coll=orl-home-headlines| Source ]

<Quoting>Wait, you don't understand...I'm telling them what they want to hear. I don't actually MEAN it!

<Shaking Head>

There was another article a couple of months back when Harris claimed that several Democrats had talked privately with here, encourging her to stay in the race and run. <Smile>