IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "The Looming Tower"
Today we consider The Looming Tower — Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 by Lawrence Wright, which takes its title from the fourth sura of the Koran:
Wherever you are, death will find you,
even in the looming tower
This is a highly readable account, published just the other month, of the historical currents that culminated in the Unpleasantness at the World Trade Center five years ago. I had read a bit about Sayyid Qutb, the Egyptian writer and activist whose two years stateside in the late 1940s filled him with revulsion and, apparently, deep sexual anxiety, and set him, as it were, on fire for the Prophet, but Wright's account fleshes out his intellectual contribution to the modern revival of aggressive, fundamentalist Islam. This founding father of the modern movement, hanged in Egypt forty years ago this Tuesday, was made of subtler stuff than this century's disciples, but his view of the west was not significantly finer-grained than Dubya's picture of the "evildoers," and his intellectual heirs are persuasively scary as Wright presents them: Koranic literalists (save when a tactical deviation is required to violate an apparent injunction against the killing of bystanders) whose aim is the extermination of all competing systems of thought planetwide, in this respect not unlike our homegrown Christian "dominionists," who are fortunately as yet still marginalized in our culture—as Sayyid Qutb's followers once were in theirs. I am put in mind of Eric Hoffer's observation that extremists at either end of a political spectrum resemble one another far more than they do the mutually despised middle.

From the intellectual roots of the movement the author moves to the early lives of bin Laden and his sometime associate al-Zawahiri; to the ambiguous and, so to say, co-dependent relationship between the House of Saud and its protector/customer the US of A; to the dragons' teeth sown in Afghanistan after the Soviet invasion, and then, late in the book, to the thin network of Americans in the various law enforcement bureaucracies who began in the 1990s to be alarmed at the instrument they saw taking shape and who attempted to sound the alarm to those alphabet-soup agencies—FBI, CIA, NSA—whose resistance to the message was a compound of one part don't-rock-the-boat to three parts fierce institutional rivalry and loathing for one another. None of the major agency players had the entire picture, and they didn't have the entire picture collectively, but each possessed, and jealously hoarded, a sufficient number of pieces of the puzzle to have assembled a vividly urgent warning. The hero of this part of the narrative is John O'Neill, a hard-drinking, philandering, abrasive FBI agent who for years is Ahab to Moby bin Laden, and who Richard Clarke attempts to have succeed him at the NSC. Essentially forced out of government, O'Neill accepts a gig in August 2001 as chief of security for the World Trade Center and...you can guess the rest.

Highly informative, competently presented. You may wish to await the trade paperback, but your understanding of the catastrophic origin of our present plight will be immeasurably enhanced by your perusal.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New from using muslim poetry for getting laid
kahil gibran, to using muslim poetry to ressurect the "old man of the mountain". Having spent my formative years in the backwaters of various fiefdoms I would see what our cynical but oh so shining justice of my young eyes to falicitate the insurrectionists in Afghanistan without thinking of the betrayal of latter years.

An american equivelent would be to siphon billions of dollars to the Aryan brotherhood who would invade evangelical churches and intimidate and indoctrinate members to their beleifs then watch in horror as America disiegrated. Wait! dont read this, its classified material.

Unintended consequences are a bitch,
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Companion pieces
John O'Neill was given a legible bio on a PBS hour, I think twice locally - once in past year.

Seems that, at some (office?) party, and after moderate imbibing - O'Neill misplaced his laptop; found it a bit later - but after the Fact of his having done so, was fed into the gleeful laps of his assorted antagonists. Believe this event occurred right around the time when Clarke was pushing for his uniquely qualified ascension to the NSC slot. A moment's distraction - history forks.

By that account, O'Neil was "sure that a large attack was imminent" some weeks before the day; and practically on the eve, maybe exactly - he reinforced that premonition (as told to..) Naturally, only a few of the relatively powerless who knew of his talents and investigations, benfited from that Intel.

(Why is it that genuine swaggerers rarely carry a swagger stick?)
Could Cecil B. or for that matter Chaplin- have scripted such a succession of pratfalls - with no OFF switch / scene break, for when you just wanna hit the john?

Then there's the dice roll that, Security was ensconced in the TT ^stratosphere^ -- surely the perfect spot for attending to any transgression which might ever, say pass through the Entrance? But then, you can get a top view of events. Yes, that's what they must have had in mind, those clever organization men. 17 straight craps throws.

One might surmise whether O'Neill's concluding [*]neuronic flashes began with,
I Knew It! [??]
or... Y.P.B.!! [???] (doubtless directed at an entire hierarchy of familiars.)

Another recent recap by Michael R. Gordon and Gen. Bernard E. Traynor, [link|http://www.buy.com/prod/Cobra_2_The_Inside_Story_of_the_Invasion_and_Occupation_of_Iraq/q/loc/56321/202027677.html| Cobra 2] narrows focus to the military history of the Iraq (Freedom-) Invasion and occupation - apparently also on 8 CDs! This effort contrasts say, "best military techniques" with the operations of the actual Rumsfeld(-spar?) \ufffdthereal-PNAC parallel universe.

[Feldspar - a mixture of 3 alkali-metal aluminosilicates, characterized by two cleavages at nearly right angles: one of the most important constituents of igneous rocks. cha cha cha - just seems to fit: Rummy -- orthogonal to most everybody with battle experience and, an igneous PNAC-forged temperament to boot.] ;^>

The book pair might make for a lugubrious weekend of watching train wrecks in the slo-mo-of-a-page-turn. These days, I find I must intersperse some Terry Pratchett - into any horrifying non-fiction accounts of just how it was that -- gehabt, kindern.

Thanks for the recap of the sort of stuff that a modern rosy-hued President finds.. just distracts from his communing with Decider 101R. Efficient use of time, I'd say - skipping those tomes. Hey, watch my slice!

[*] Shades of the event-horizon of an electric short story read recently on NPR, Bullet in the Brain - which describes a terminally-silly/pompous idiot, his final actions during a bank robbery.. and the \ufffdSec-by-\ufffdSec guesstimated effect

on the very-fast axonic interactions -->
memory fragments pulsed --> as the mentioned projectile -->
takes-no-prisoners, from Front--> to --> Back
(where macro physics produces those full-color results now familiar to all who admire heaped-dead-body necrotainment.)

Not disgustingly Like that, though - as I said, electric! storytelling. And needs no 60" wall Tee Vee w/ 9 channels of scream-echoes in the fulness of Dolby.

Wonder if anyone else here caught that fascinating piece of radio drama.
I see I'll have to run down the parent title, The Night in Question by one Thomas ___?

Ed: poTy and Cobra details

Voldemort for AG
Expand Edited by Ashton Aug. 25, 2006, 12:27:35 AM EDT
New I heard it.
Or parts of it. I couldn't listen to too much of it. I wasn't in the mood, I guess.

It was on "This American Life" - [link|http://www.thislife.org/pages/descriptions/98/114.html|Last Words]. TAL is a wonderful radio show.

Act Six. What Goes Through Your Head. Writer Tobias Wolff reads his story Bullet in the Brain (from his collection of stories, [link|http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/partner?partner_id=28734&cgi=product&isbn=0679781552|The Night in Question]) about a bank robbery and a man who's shot, and what he thinks about before he dies. (13 minutes)
Song: "A Way of Life," Jimmy Durante

Cheers,
Scott.
New "Bullet in the Brain"
I missed the reading, but I know the story: as nearly perfect a specimen of the genre as was ever penned (offhand I can think of just two to equal it—Nabokov's "Spring in Fialta" and Updike's "The Happiest I've Been").
The bullet is already in the brain; it won't be outrun forever, or charmed to a halt. In the end it will do its work and leave the troubled skull behind, dragging its comet's tail of memory and hope and talent and love into the marble hall of commerce. That can't be helped. But for now Anders can still make time. Time for the shadows to lengthen on the grass, time for the tethered dog to bark at the flying ball, time for the boy in right field to smack his sweat-blackened mitt and softly chant, They is, they is, they is.
cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New (His book is enroute..)

"The Looming Tower" - (rcareaga) - (5)
         from using muslim poetry for getting laid - (boxley)
         Companion pieces - (Ashton) - (3)
             I heard it. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 "Bullet in the Brain" - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     (His book is enroute..) -NT - (Ashton)

We're on a mission from GRR.
120 ms