IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New But we don't want pollution in our yard
OK, say you have $4 billion and want to build a new refinery in the US....where are you going to build it?

The answer: no where! Because, everyone will says: NIMBY. But the world needs another refinery, so it gets built in, say, China.

Everybody wants the jobs, but nobody wants the headaches, and everybody can sue to stop it. So, there hasn't been a new refinery built in the US for something like 30 years. And the same is true of a lot of heavy industry - it's dirty, noisy, smelly, etc.

But, yes, a lot could be done, such as streamling approval. And both parties are much better at symbolic stuff, than figuring out what would really help our economy, especially if it would offend some of their key donors (e.g. trial lawyers, teacher's unions, "environmentalists", ADM, etc).

--Tony
New That's where it gets tricky
The easy rule is that you can't import anything made in a way that you couldn't legally make it here. What happens when it's technically legal, but due to local opposition you can't actually get the permit?

We saw this when California was having the blackouts (ignoring for the moment that Enron basically engineered them) and the governor said Texas should allow the California power grid to be connected to theirs. So after decades of fighting power plan construction, after decades of criticizing Texas for their pollution problems, when they come up short of power they're perfectly willing to use that smoggy power.

As far as I'm concerned, if you vote against a power plant, you should be first in line when rolling blackouts are needed. Vote against a textile mill, and you can't buy the cheap imported clothes.

Scaling this idea up to a national level isn't exactly easy, but as a guiding principal I like it better than just slapping tariffs on whatever we're trying to protect today.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New It's not just NIMBY.
[link|http://www.naseo.org/Committees/energyproduction/oil/Refining.htm|Refining]:

The U.S. has the largest and by far the most complex refining system in the world, reflecting its being the world\ufffds largest consumer of both oil and transportation fuels (see Graph). However, only Africa has a lower average capacity per refinery than the U.S. level of 94 thousand B/D. The pressing need to minimize unit costs and refining\ufffds pronounced economies of scale strongly suggest that the number of refineries in the U.S. will continue to decline, while those that remain will continue to expand their capacity through debottlenecking.

IOW, if refining doesn't make the companies money, they won't invest in it.

:-(

Cheers,
Scott.
     Men dropping out of work force - (JayMehaffey) - (102)
         Of course it points that out - (bepatient) - (88)
             Exactly. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                 Ah, so its a GOD given right - (bepatient) - (5)
                     Heh. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                         Somehow I think you misinterpreted - (bepatient)
                         Oh, and another thing. - (bepatient) - (2)
                             You think people don't take pay cuts today? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 You are confused - (bepatient)
             Wow, almost perfectly opposite impression - (JayMehaffey) - (80)
                 Huh? - (drewk)
                 Timing of publication and the publication itself. - (bepatient) - (78)
                     Ferchrissakes. - (mmoffitt) - (77)
                         Apologist for whom, exactly? - (bepatient) - (76)
                             lowest unemployment in years, I agree - (boxley) - (75)
                                 Saw this a while back - (bepatient) - (74)
                                     crock o sommat - (boxley) - (4)
                                         doesn't jibe with the figures - (bepatient)
                                         It's the nature of averages... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             Same error both sides - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                 Both sides are correct - (broomberg)
                                     possible nit - (boxley) - (68)
                                         other places too - (bepatient) - (66)
                                             P1ss on that. - (imric) - (65)
                                                 I can finger just as many - (bepatient) - (64)
                                                     100% - (imric) - (63)
                                                         Let's take a poll: Better or Worse Worse - (imqwerky) - (62)
                                                             Better. - (imric) - (2)
                                                                 Considering Cost of Living even? - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                     Yup. - (imric)
                                                             7/8 of what I was making in 1998 - (boxley)
                                                             Depends on what you mean by better - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                                                                 Seconded - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                     Thirded - (lincoln)
                                                             Better - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                 Don't I wish - (drewk)
                                                                 IT did have a bubble that is well burst - (boxley)
                                                             Worse - (bionerd) - (9)
                                                                 By what measure then? - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                     While she considers herself better off, - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                                                                         true nuff -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                     It's a double-edged sword. - (bionerd) - (5)
                                                                         Now wait just a minute - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                             Hold on there, babalooey. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                                 I didn't. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                     Last on this. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                         2 sides in every negotiation. Mgt caved. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                             Better - (SpiceWare) - (36)
                                                                 Which all begs the question - (drewk) - (35)
                                                                     Re: Which all begs the question - (bepatient) - (34)
                                                                         I'll disagree on that - (drewk) - (30)
                                                                             But we don't want pollution in our yard - (tonytib) - (2)
                                                                                 That's where it gets tricky - (drewk)
                                                                                 It's not just NIMBY. - (Another Scott)
                                                                             Doesn't solve core issue - (bepatient) - (13)
                                                                                 I definitely agree with one point - (jake123)
                                                                                 What would you train them to be? - (imric) - (11)
                                                                                     Welders, mechanics, operators (machine), butchers, bakers - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                                         ROFL! Not what I meant at all! - (imric) - (6)
                                                                                             He forgot candlestick maker too :0) - (imqwerky)
                                                                                             Now this ought to be interesting coming from me. - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                 Problem with "earning a living" - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                                                     Been there, too. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                     Dupe (How'd that happen?) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                                 Nah - my point - (imric)
                                                                                         Butchers aren't happening either... - (hnick) - (2)
                                                                                             Actually not as bad around here - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                                 Well, it's 2 out of 3 of the dominant chains here. - (hnick)
                                                                             I'll second that - (imqwerky) - (12)
                                                                                 You are. -NT - (bepatient) - (11)
                                                                                     I beg to differ. - (imqwerky) - (3)
                                                                                         Beg all you like - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                             No, I won't - (imqwerky) - (1)
                                                                                                 You may want - (bepatient)
                                                                                     And so are you. - (folkert) - (6)
                                                                                         :-) - (Another Scott)
                                                                                         Which goes to the point I made to Drew -NT - (bepatient)
                                                                                         "All-American" content is not smart - (tonytib) - (3)
                                                                                             Actually, iirc - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                                                 No, public company on the NASDAQ - (tonytib) - (1)
                                                                                                     ok. thought it was - (bepatient)
                                                                         The gains made by the few bring the averages up. -NT - (imric) - (2)
                                                                             Thats what the other link was for - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                 No? - (imric)
                                                             Depends on your take of the situation... - (Yendor)
                                                             Worse. Much worse. -NT - (Silverlock)
                                                             Worse - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                 That's not a realistic metric - (tonytib) - (1)
                                                                     Just makes it worse - (tuberculosis)
                                         Funny that I know so many in NJ - (imric)
         Ah, now I see where this is going - (JayMehaffey) - (12)
             Matters not. - (imric) - (6)
                 You got that right. -NT - (imqwerky)
                 you forgot the outlaws -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                     True. -NT - (imric)
                     And the lawyers ... or is that redundant? -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                         CAN they be 'outlaws? - (imric) - (1)
                             Think about it - (drewk)
             I wish the NYT didn't make you pay for access - (lincoln) - (1)
                 The Smirking Chimp has it. - (Another Scott)
             That Brooks is a talking head-up-ass on PBS - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Isn't about 95% of that piece tongue in cheek? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     It could be his idea of subtlety, I suppose - (Ashton)

I choose vodka and Chaka Khan.
108 ms