IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is a larger Mideast war going to break out?
I just read an interview with a Syrian journalist (in Hebrew [link|http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3282166,00.html|here]) where he states that the atmosphere in Syria is like right before a war. Syrian TV for the first time since the 80's is showing military marches and playing military music. The journalist commented that everyone in Syria knows that Israel is preparing for war with Syria.

I find it hard to believe that Syria will attack Israel, but you never know. They may think that Israel is preoccupied in Lebanon and Gaza and they may start believing the Arab newspapers that the IDF is no longer that strong and try to take back the Golan Heights.

Israel has no plans to attack Syria. However, if Syria attackas Israel, Iran who recently signed a defense treaty with Syria will be dragged in as well. The US recently promised to help defend Israel from Iran, and therefore a Syrian attack could very easily lead to the US fighting with Syria and Iran as well.
New What a comforting thought. Not. :-(
Given the events of the past few weeks, all it would take for war to break out with Syria is for a few Hezbollah or Hamas fighters in Syria to cross the border and snatch an Israeli soldier or two.

:-(

Pray for Peace, Work for Justice (or substitute another pithy saying that might be appropriate).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Is a larger Mideast war going to break out?
Israel has no plans to attack Syria.

Do you think that if Israel found out that the captured soldiers where alive and being held in Syria they would ask the Syrian government to take them from Hezbollah and turn them over to Israel? I don't think Israel wants to start a war with Syria, but I see several situations where they would feel they have no choice.

I don't think either Israel or Syria wants to start a war, but neither wants to be seen as caving in either. Put two large and hostile military forces near each other and accidents happen. In the Middle East we have half a dozen that don't neatly line up into two sides. There are any number of ways it could blow up into a general regional war, and then possibly drag much of the rest of the world in.

Jay
New Agreed
Although I doubt Syria is stupid enough to do that (hold the soldiers in Syrian territory). The soldiers are either somewhere in Lebanon or in Iran.

The potential for a regional or wider war is definately here and is a very scary thought.
New Nyah...the really scary thing
is that both (more than both?) are so keyed up right now... a smart enemy would infiltrate and plant evidence to get you to blow each other up.
New Well, that rules out the US's current ruling junta...
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
     Is a larger Mideast war going to break out? - (bluke) - (5)
         What a comforting thought. Not. :-( - (Another Scott)
         Re: Is a larger Mideast war going to break out? - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
             Agreed - (bluke) - (2)
                 Nyah...the really scary thing - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                     Well, that rules out the US's current ruling junta... -NT - (jb4)

If lies were cars, she'd be the Santa Monica Freeway at 5:30 p.m.
74 ms