1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oooowwww. I like it.
Current process:

Customer FTPs image to our server.
This triggers a process on a Linux box.
My program picks is up, feeds it through a couple of image magic conversions.
It then writes an MS-DOS batch file that is called through a DOS-EMU system autoexec.bat.
Launch DOS-EMU.
Dosemu launches 3rd party application that will only work on MS-DOS 3.1, and it must find the hardware dongle on the parallel port.
3rd party app converts the image to a mainframe specific file format.
Dosemu exits.
My program grabs the output file, uploads it to the mainframe, and loops to the next image file if there are any more to process.

This has been running this way for about 8 years. The software vendor has long since gone out of business. A replace program will cost around $50,000. This one cost $1,500. There is a countdown to when we will stop using the mainframe for this particular production, and I really hope it is before the dongle dies.

Do dongles die?
New Re: Oooowwww... dongles.
Since even moi can follow this decidedly Renaissance dance.. (a gavotte, perhaps?) query:
By '98, wasn't it established contract practice to insist upon a escrowed copy of source, in the event of the biz implosion of the seller? I mean - surely You wouldn't have missed including that clause.

Ah yes dongles.. I recall one for an icky so-called Multi-language Word Processor. As I recall, the dongle was tamper-resistant - even physically, so my curiosity was unassuaged.

Assuming [??] that they burned a ROM and not an EPROM: Tek scopes experience suggests that only rarely do old ROMS lose their burned-diode bits: but.. they can; more often, chemical things happening to the bonding wires and even legs of the IC are the culprit.

Now you already know about yer more complexificated EEPROMS - and their failure mechanisms are more imaginitive. I dunno about those.. except that it usually takes a higher voltage/current source [or spike] than the PS bus, to confound such.

(I presume you have an epoxied-on label on that dongle, saying: "Don't even TOUCH this device, before calling and REACHING ____ to hear exactly why you want to." ??)

Whenever I read these hilarious stories, I always wonder - - What If All. That. Clever. WORK would have been dedicated to something with a quite grander aim than ___? :-/

New Interesting
I WROTE a multi-language "word processor". It was for a publishing company that needed to create dictionaries in various languages.

The was 1st year of VGA time frame.

I also creates a font editor for them since they needed loadable fonts and they did not exist commercially yet.

Damn, I loved that program.

Took me about 2 months of hard core 20 a hour day hacking.
New Couldn't have been yours -
Clear language problem in the laughable efforts at 'help' (see, you'd Never have done something like That); minimal drivers for a couple or so, dot-matrix printers.. fortunately gotten on eval and returned.

Can't even recall time-frame now - early/mid '90s. Maybe yours would have been the keeper, but IIRC my friend ended up, much later, with Word6 add-ins to do the necessaries - while learning about fonts, type-faces and all that Stuff.

(And ~that stage, my first momentary immersion in industrial-strength Unix - to help with the sending/receiving of that-all, a long way across the nascent 'net' via Pine: Hey, we Won, too! Got props from the IT guys who'd missed the simplicity of teachin folks to make at least minimalist use of their assigned /Home repository, back there at IU. Loved. It. Our scheme worked for the local Macs, too..)

So then, how's come your group didn't CYA on the source for this indispensable moribund ap?

But moving right on back in time -
Me.. I truly MISS Tornado Notes! and the philosophy behind it.. never could wade through Info Select's (though verra nicely-done) Overkill; that plus the probability of repeated Doze-style 'up'grades into whatever next formats / conversions.

Hmmmm.. something Tornado-like for *nix out there?
What a great thing to run on minimalist Puppy Linux!
Instant free-form db for non-dbers, for us legions who shall never construct a sorting algorithm. Dedicate an ancient laptop to it? free some neurons.

Ashton

New Gavotte. Isn't that when...
...you take a thin piece of wire or something similar, wrap it around the "victim's" neck and pull with sufficient force until the victim dies?
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
New Only when you do it to music.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New That's a garotte.
A gavotte is a French peasant dance (according to Merriam-Webster).

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New I thought that was an orange root vegetable
Too much of today's music is fashionable crap dressed as artistry.Adrian Belew
New Or purple - the original color
[link|http://www.google.com/search?q=%22purple+carrot%22&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official|http://www.google.co...la:en-US:official]

I just had one today.
New No, no, no. Those can't be beet!
Smile,
Amy

[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Amy%20Rathman|Pics of the Family]
New Lettuce not go there!
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
     Barry, you ever use the handle "slurpy"? - (drewk) - (12)
         Re: Barry, you ever use the handle "slurpy"? - (pwhysall)
         Oooowwww. I like it. - (broomberg) - (10)
             Re: Oooowwww... dongles. - (Ashton) - (9)
                 Interesting - (broomberg) - (1)
                     Couldn't have been yours - - (Ashton)
                 Gavotte. Isn't that when... - (jb4) - (6)
                     Only when you do it to music. -NT - (imric)
                     That's a garotte. - (static) - (4)
                         I thought that was an orange root vegetable -NT - (bepatient) - (3)
                             Or purple - the original color - (broomberg) - (2)
                                 No, no, no. Those can't be beet! -NT - (imqwerky) - (1)
                                     Lettuce not go there! -NT - (jb4)

... should the Index Book of Everything in the Library contain a listing for
... The Index Book?
... which is also in the Library.
... or would that belong in the Meta-Index..
... or The List of Lists...
... or The Index of Indices....
... which Cannot be placed In The Library.....!
... (but only in the Meta-Library???)

65 ms