IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Now you see why I didn't buy a Kia
a very rich person should leave his kids enough to do anything but not enough to do nothing. -- Warren Buffett
New Re: Now you see why I didn't buy a Kia
The wife and I are looking to replace her vehicle. She called our insurance agent and asked, "how much will it cost to insure a new <insert car model here>?"

The agent said that the worst vehicles, insurance wise, to purchase are Kias and VWs. She asked why and was told that, if we got into an accident, after market parts are just about impossible to get, so the insurance company has to get dealer parts. These come from the factories in Korea and Germany; thus, they cost quite a lot, and so the insurance company wants to empty your wallet in advance, just in case you drive either make and before you even think about making a claim.

At the moment, we're favoring a 2007 Camry, but the nearest dealer is an asshole extraordinaire. Used cars are out of the question - I don't want to have to worry if the car was flooded in New Orleans last year.

lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Used car?
Simply insist on a full dealer service history; check stamps, log book, job sheets.

Can't fall off: you get the dual benefits of the common faults (and all cars have them) on the vehicle having been likely fixed under warranty, plus you don't have to take several thousand dollars in the shorts just driving the thing out of the dealership.

You can buy more car for your money, that way.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
New Not everybody uses the dealer exclusively
In the case of my Accord, the only design fault that it has is that there's a metal lip underneath the oil drain plug. Open it up, the oil hits the lip, and it splashes and runs a bit. Plus you need to jack up the car to get to it. Dealer charges $26.95 USD for an oil change - a local shop charges me $14.95 USD. There's similar savings on all scheduled maintenance items too. So all of my regular service is done locally at a better price.

I tend to keep all of my maintenance receipts, but not everybody does. But still, all of this work will never appear in a dealer's computer system.

lincoln

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from." -- E.L. Doctorow

I am not merely a "consumer" or a "taxpayer". I am a Citizen of the United States.

New You're a contrary sod.
That's why I said "full dealer service history". Recorded on the dealer's computArs and everything.

These things can be checked; if they don't check out, one simply walks away.

You're cheap enough to save $12 on an oil change, yet you're willing to lose thousands (and yes, unless it's a Veyron, you do) by buying a new car? That doesn't make sense.

I know why people buy new cars - peace of mind, being the first pair of arse-cheeks on the seat, the new-car-smell, etc. - but "saving money" is never on the list.

But hey, it's your money. Well, it was.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?pwhysall|A better terminal emulator]
New Dealership history isn't real likely around here.
Few people want to get screwed that deep. Most people want to deal with the mechanic they've use the last 10 years or so.

How do you get a good deal on a used car? I use a professional buyer - there are quite a few around here. Dealerships take trade-ins - they need to unload them so they take them to the auto auctions.

You tell the buyer what you want. It may take a few weeks, but the buyer haunts the auctions for a living - and knows how to leverage the dealer's need to unload the vehicle. He has a network of mechanics to inspect vehicles and do any needed work.

My buyer's attitude, "I buy new cars - they just have miles on them".

I can get a "like new" for $5 to $9 thousand. Even if the engine blew up in a month and had to be replaced I'd still be way ahead.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: You're a contrary sod.

You're cheap enough to save $12 on an oil change, yet you're willing to lose thousands (and yes, unless it's a Veyron, you do) by buying a new car? That doesn't make sense.

Tell me, how do I "lose money" by buying a new car? The current vehicle due for retirement was purchased new in July 1991. It still runs and gives acceptable, dependable service. It needs some engine work that a mechanic says will cost more in labor than the blue book value of the car is worth. I'd say that I got my money's worth out of it.

Oh, wait, there's something called "depreciation" that only matters if you're stupid enough to trade in your car every 5 years or less. Well, I'm certainly not in that category.

I'd rather get a new car and KNOW how the car was driven and treated since day one instead of placing a bet by buying someone else's trade-in (or reject). And a new car is GUARANTEED to NOT have been sitting in Hurricane Katrina's floodwaters last year.

lincoln

New Do a carfax search on any potential buy
If it wasn't registered to anyone in Louisiana last year, then it is unlikely to have been caught in New Orleans.

Cheers,
Ben
a very rich person should leave his kids enough to do anything but not enough to do nothing. -- Warren Buffett
     time to see how good kia warranty service is - (boxley) - (46)
         Slipping clutch I'd say - worn, oily or jammed linkage. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             What he said. -NT - (folkert)
         Yep, clutch. - (bepatient) - (29)
             I dunno about that - (broomberg) - (25)
                 Sorta what I was thinking - (drewk)
                 No, the cornering stuff was ME. -NT - (folkert) - (23)
                     Greg, you're not the only bad driver on the board. -NT - (ben_tilly) - (22)
                         Whoever said I was bad... - (folkert) - (21)
                             I followed behind you for 300 miles. - (bionerd) - (14)
                                 Too slow? -NT - (Yendor) - (13)
                                     Only when it came to finding the exit ramps. -NT - (bionerd)
                                     When I am following or being followed, I get distracted. - (folkert) - (11)
                                         Is that what you call that? -NT - (drewk)
                                         If being courteous distracts you, that's a problem. -NT - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                             Overly Courteous. - (folkert) - (8)
                                                 Explain, please. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                                     Shhhhh ... listen really hard ... you hear that? - (drewk) - (2)
                                                         Why.. ya took the words right outta my fingertips - - (Ashton)
                                                         Re: Shhhhh ... listen really hard ... you hear that? - (lincoln)
                                                     Bah. Earth raping, oil consuming, smog emitting wankers both - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                                         your vehicle costs 60k and gets 6 mpg (bus) :-) -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                             Not since I moved. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                 groceries by delivery? Hows that work? (new thread) - (boxley)
                             Aggressive = bad. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                 Okay. Tell that to NASCAR! -NT - (folkert) - (3)
                                     What's that got to do with driving on the road? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         DING! DING! DING! -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                                             Burned! -NT - (pwhysall)
                             I did - (ben_tilly)
             I thought clutches were considered normal deterioration - (hnick) - (2)
                 Well, premature failure is - (folkert) - (1)
                     Mine needs replacing - (Yendor)
         more news - (boxley) - (9)
             Now you see why I didn't buy a Kia -NT - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                 Re: Now you see why I didn't buy a Kia - (lincoln) - (6)
                     Used car? - (pwhysall) - (4)
                         Not everybody uses the dealer exclusively - (lincoln) - (3)
                             You're a contrary sod. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 Dealership history isn't real likely around here. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Re: You're a contrary sod. - (lincoln)
                     Do a carfax search on any potential buy - (ben_tilly)
             Does GA have a Lemon Law? Would that help? -NT - (Another Scott)
         SAGA ends in a half assed draw - (boxley) - (3)
             Oh Yeah, thanx beep -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 We tried...enjoy the ride. Nice to keep the Mrs happy -NT - (bepatient)
             I hope this one treats you better. Luck with your new ride! -NT - (Another Scott)

Mmmmmm... gloat cheese!
92 ms