IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Another question from the "client"
I pulled down the 3 CD version, managed to burn the image to disk. One question, by the title it implies an Intel 586 chip. Do you think I'll have problems trying to set-up on a 600 MHz 486 machine?

And the answer is?

btw, this is a volunteer org, so I may NOT be able to convince them to upgrade their hardware. Now I also understand why they are complaining about performance issues. (I haven't heard from them for about 4 years, since the last time I had to address some issues.)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New 600 MHz 486?
AFAIK, the fastest 486 was a 486/133 (33.3 MHz x 4) from AMD.

If it's a 600 MHz system, it's almost certainly a Pentium (family) chip so the 586 kernel will be fine.

If, on the other hand, it is a 486 system, then they should find a newer machine. Putting Linux on a 486 would be a challenge - they might have to find an old pre-built 486 distro, but I wouldn't recommend that route. 486s are very RAM constrained for modern OSes. Dumpster diving should get one a Pentium-class machine that would be better than a 486 for Linux.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New 600MHz could be an AMD K6-something or a Pentium3.
What exactly are they trying to do?

I can tell you right now the machine can handle a lot as long as a "kitchen sink" install isn't performed...

If it is a 66MHz 486... well umm. Wow. No.

Well, if they can figure out a way to get a boot floppy for Debian Sarge, they can install it.

If it is a 486, Mandrake WON'T ever load on it.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
     Mandrake tips please - (jbrabeck) - (4)
         aside from the obvious that its rpm based - (bepatient)
         Another question from the "client" - (jbrabeck) - (2)
             600 MHz 486? - (Another Scott)
             600MHz could be an AMD K6-something or a Pentium3. - (folkert)

This random post brought to you by the letters A, Q, and Peter.
112 ms