IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New >>> The World's Fastest >>>>> Indian >>>>>>>>>
[link|http://imdb.com/title/tt0412080/|http://imdb.com/title/tt0412080/]
In `60s New Zealand, at the bottom of the world, Burt Munro takes a 1920 Indian motorcycle and, delightfully without resources other than his own obsession and a Kiwi #8 wire mentality, spends his retirement rebuilding the bike and following his dream to go to Speed Week at Salt Lake in Utah. Under funded, without the support of a team and against all the odds he not only makes it to Bonneville, he sets a national land speed record, not once, but again and again.

The unvarnished rilly-True story of Burt and his Quest.. right on throughout his seventies. Aptly played by Anthony Hopkins (you get to see for yourself the Real one, too - on this disc.)

An absolute Must for the few 2-wheelers amongst us.
But not just for those; nay me Buckoes -
even them what gots the auto-trans {check}
yer heated-seats {check}
the 12-speaker mp-3s with 50K all-the-same selections, for your travelling consciousness lowering {check}
-- will find more than boring mechanical boffinry here.

See.. while life-long obsessed with speed, and always on *just* this. one. machine:
this was no one-dimensional nut case. An affable seducer (esp. of Authority Figures\ufffd wherever encountered / which was often) as well as what You thought - the motif ~generated by his apparently several.. willing accomplices was the famous,
Even dirty old men need love, too. {Betcha we stole that line from Down Under.. I Bet.}

This guy'd have Taken Over Beep-Bash on into August.. and people would still be making sick-aunt excuses to Bosses, enthralled.

Enough Bonneville shots to dazzle the takistomotophile - the Story is of a uniquely talented guy from Invercargil(l) NZ - yup, that southernmost outpost of the Scepter'd Isle. He *built everything himself*, including sand-casting, heat-treating, engr. calcs, etc. etc. And whilst I can't cotten to his approach to 200 MPH tires (yikes!!} -- the proof of his virtuosity / not luck / is, like Science: in the Results predicted, then achieved. NOTHING 'farmed out to the machini$ts' !! Mind-boggling, that-all. Check out his shelf labelled,
Offerings to the God of Speed

There's even a travelogue of this Gorgeous place - were I conventionally-Rich, $$ vs owning one's own Time -- that'd be near top of the list.
SShhhh - Don't Tell the feckless Yuppies, or they'll fuck it up, just like Hawaii..
Ackshully the locals seem perfectly capable of summarily liquidating such carpetbaggers, I wot.

..et deja vu por moi - two, more than familiar characters, with large parts in the plot:
Rollie Free and Marty Dickerson.

Free is the guy, in his fifties - whom many have seen in that pic, prone/flat-out (literally) in his swim suit, atop his factory 1000 cc Vincent Black Lightning, setting the Class A (unmodified, etc.) speed record for many a year: at just over 150 mph. In 1950. Never met him.

Marty Dickerson's shop I visited several times, while lusting after my first Vincent. Saw his pristine record-breaking Vincent Gray Flash 500 cc single there (like the twin, but with front cylinder only.) He was uncommonly tolerant of the usual twittery of the avid yout, supplying clever hints and.. just allowin ya ta hang.. and adsorb the endorphins. This was before tha above, o'course.. knew next to nada about Burt, to may shame. But Christchurch NZ saw also several Vincent record-holders, so it wasn't news that these be Clever Lads.

What doubles the pleasure, expands on the Life is - inclusion of the lengthy '73 bio of Burt. He was in his sixties for the first-trip portrayed; in his seventies for many subsequent runs.. and Records: *ALL* performed on his endlessly modified 1920 Indian Scout, which he had purchased new (opting for the acetylene lamps over the more expensive new-fangled electrics.)

Vroooommm

PS - I just happened to look at the reviews today: 11 Pages of them!
[link|http://imdb.com/title/tt0412080/usercomments|http://imdb.com/titl...2080/usercomments]

While I don't read that many imdb reviews - the tenor of these is virtually universal accord: all *******s lighted up. Hell, I may have to just get a copy of this - and even Notice, for near first time: whether the Academy can get their brains out of armpits long enough to elect this film President.

(But agree with one minor bitch.. yeah, they Coulda shown a minute or so of the machinery, real-slow and close-up, ditto of those neat cycles from yesteryear - on that beach. Pity.. nary a Vincent anywhere, even with both Rollie Free AND Marty Dickerson figuring in several scenes. Well, it wasn't their pic. But Still!)

Expand Edited by Ashton July 13, 2006, 06:34:07 AM EDT
New ICLRPD. (new thread)
Created as new thread #261447 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=261447|ICLRPD.]
New on the list, many thanx
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Watched it last night
Good movie. As much as the show is about machinery, the best part is the interesting (and eclectic) characters. Both my 10yo (who regularly watches Orange County Choppers with me) and my 15yo enjoyed it.
New I watched it too
although I jumped in in the middle just before he made it to Bonneville.

But I can safely say it is an engaging story of how Munro fulfilled a lifelong dream and how by sheer pluck, others came to believe in the dream as well and helped him along.

This movie has a lot of heart, without being sappy.
Smile,
Amy

[link|http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Amy%20Rathman|Pics of the Family]
     >>> The World's Fastest >>>>> Indian >>>>>>>>> - (Ashton) - (4)
         ICLRPD. (new thread) - (Another Scott)
         on the list, many thanx -NT - (boxley)
         Watched it last night - (ChrisR)
         I watched it too - (imqwerky)

Incidentally, my Liege, this is how we know the world to be banana-shaped.
40 ms