IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's a lot more complex than that
I follow the semi business daily.

For one, using 2000 as a base year is questionable - in 2000, semi equipment sales were something like 40% more than the previous year. Companies were hiring like crazy.

Then the dot-bomb crash came. Almost every company's sales were down by at least 30%, some by 90% (see Credence). The companies have been scared since then, and it's hard to blame them.

Another point is that the US doesn't exactly dominate the fab tool business. Yes, Applied Materials is the gorilla of the industry, but Tokyo Electron is #2. And the big three lithography vendors are European (ASML) and Japanese (Nikon, Canon).

Also, the US fab tool industry has had a up and down history. It did very poorly in the 1980's, but made a come back in the 1990's.

Finally, China is an important market, but it's not even close to the big customers - Intel, Samsung, TSMC, etc. Even when all the new, currently building Chinese fabs are complete, China will be less than 10% of world capacity.

--Tony
New Thanks - it was a bit brief to be compelling.
(And I figured you or someone else in embedded.. might proof read the sucker.)

I don't know if Salon has many tech ept folk.. but it seems as if Everyone thinks he's an Econ whiz; it's so easy to turn that vague phraseology any way you want to go.

A Nobel for Truthiness some day (?)

About that trade surplus in semiconductor mfg equipment - - (Ashton) - (3)
         It's a lot more complex than that - (tonytib) - (1)
             Thanks - it was a bit brief to be compelling. - (Ashton)
         I hear North Korea is hiring Rocket Scientists -NT - (boxley)

We are trying to save children from evil forces. This wisdom tooth is not a good sign.
36 ms