IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A Memory Stick Pro DUO that turned READ-ONLY?
Had anyone had a flash memory device turned read-only on you?

I recently bought a 2GB Memory Stick Pro DUO for use with my phone. Connecting the phone to my computer, I see 2 mass-storage devices being exported, one is the phone's internal memory and the other is the 2GB Memory Stick.

I copied over several hundred megabytes of MP3 files over to the memory stick and unmounted both volumes. Then I unplugged the USB cable as instructed by the phone. At this point, the phone became unresponsive, so I attempted to power-cycle the phone and succeeded. However, now the memory stick is stuck in Write-Protected mode. Attempting to format the memory stick using either the phone itself or my PSP ended in failure to write to the memory stick itself.

Checking the physical card itself, I don't see any "read-only" switch on it.

Any ideas as to what happened to it? I tried google but it seems my google-fu is weak.

Thanks,

New Is "Magic Gate" biting you?
[link|http://www.memorystick.com/en/lifestyle/music/tech02.html|Magic Gate] is Sony's copy protection stuff for music files, etc.

It sounds like either a switch was set, or the Memory Stick thinks the content should be protected. I don't understand why it won't let you erase it though. I also don't know why it would be applying it to your own .mp3 files (which presumably aren't intentionally copy protected).

HTH a bit. Good luck!

[edit:] Oh, another thing. 2 GB is very large. Could it be too big for your device(s)? I don't know that that's a problem - it's just another something that you might want to check.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott July 3, 2006, 09:06:01 AM EDT
New Not all Memory Sticks have Magic Gate.
Of course, that might not be so with the Duo sticks.

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New Re: Is "Magic Gate" biting you?
Yeah, MagicGate is present on the memory stick. The SonyEricsson W810 is capable of reading/writing to Pro DUO memory sticks of up to 2GB in size, so it's definitely not the device that's the problem.

It's rather amusing to me that the phone came with a Sandisk 512 MB Pro DUO stick instead of a Sony branded one, and I bought the phone from the Sony Store to boot! :)

Oh, well. I've returned the memory stick for a full refund. I would have liked to have gotten an exchange instead, but the retailer didn't have any in stock. They did have a 4GB Pro DUO memory stick for $350.00 Canadian dollars though...

Definitely a weird experience with a flash device. I've gotten myself a USB multi-card reader so that I won't have to transfer files using the phone's USB cable. It looks like my AMD64 Ubuntu installation and the phone doesn't play nice. Bummer.

A Memory Stick Pro DUO that turned READ-ONLY? - (StevenYap) - (3)
         Is "Magic Gate" biting you? - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Not all Memory Sticks have Magic Gate. - (static)
             Re: Is "Magic Gate" biting you? - (StevenYap)

"The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."
- George W. Bush, Jr.
95 ms