I was checking the sci-fi section at Borders last fall and one of the graphic novels on the next shelf caught my eye - it's a black cover with black drawings and red lettering. The drawings shine if the light hits them correctly - possibly that's what caught my attention.

I picked it up on a whim and decided to buy it. Not sure why, though I suspect the slick artwork. The story hooked me.

Crimson starts out with an interesting variation of Genesis, then cuts to New York in the modern day. Young Alex Elder is out with his buds, and they get set upon by a motorcyle gang. Only, this isn't you're typical motorcyle gang as they can only come out at night. Alex's friends are killed, but Alex is saved by a dark stranger. However, it wasn't exactly soon enough as Alex has becoming a vampire himself. I'm not going to say more as I don't want to spoil the story for you - it's very good.

I've since discovered that it was a compilation of the first 6 of 24 editions of the Crimson comic book series. Collections two and three are out, and they continue the story quite well. The final collection is forthcoming.
CrimsonISBN 1-56389-532-3
Crimson: Heaven & EarthISBN 1-56389-647-8
Crimson: Earth AngleISBN 1-56389-768-7