IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I agree, the field is nebulous
And until we can tie cognition, emotions and behavior more tightly to physiological brain function, it's going to stay that way. In the meantime, I believe clinicians adopt a treatment modality that fits with their own experiences and world view. Since we use ourselves as tools, there is never going to be a one size fits all model. I like Murray Bowen because his model jives with my belief system.

All in all, though, I dont think it matters what approach a therapist uses. The most important thing is to start where the client is, work to develop trust, and motivate the client to move towards change. If a client doesnt like me, I'm not going to have much success with that person. Fortunately, I'm pretty likable, but once in a while I'll see someone who I just dont click with, no matter how hard I try. If that happens I usually recommend a different course of treatment with a different provider.
Sometimes.
When a man is alone in his room...
he wears stretchy pants.
It's for fun.
New Au contraire, I think the therapist's approach does matter
For instance I have trouble believing that a Freudian analyst, no matter how likeable, is going to actually help much.

But within reason, you've got a good point.

Cheers,
Ben
a very rich person should leave his kids enough to do anything but not enough to do nothing. -- Warren Buffett
New Well, most of the time
I'm flying by the seat of my pants, anyway. Every person is different. It takes a few sessions to find my footing with each client. Whatever works, I use. I have one client I see who wants me to interpret his dreams all the time. I'm not a fan of this, nor is it my area of expertise. My client knows this, but I take a crack at it. It always leads to very lively discussions and it usually ends up with him identifying his own conflicts and gaining more insight. So, for us, it works.
Sometimes.
When a man is alone in his room...
he wears stretchy pants.
It's for fun.
New And you do better being flexible that way.
But it does make separating the effects of the methodology from the practitioner that much harder to do.

Cheers,
Ben
a very rich person should leave his kids enough to do anything but not enough to do nothing. -- Warren Buffett
     I beg your pardon? - (bionerd) - (8)
         Psychology has been unable to coalesce around a paradigm - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             I have a task for you - (broomberg) - (1)
                 I thought this was supposed to be fun? - (ben_tilly)
             I agree, the field is nebulous - (bionerd) - (3)
                 Au contraire, I think the therapist's approach does matter - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     Well, most of the time - (bionerd) - (1)
                         And you do better being flexible that way. - (ben_tilly)
         Acceding to the proof of experience - - (Ashton)

Diane's as fat can be... aye, Captain aye!
44 ms