IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Two changes
One, appeasement never works. I thought you liked reading history, you should know this. Remember Poland? When kids are taking stuff that isn't theirs, you don't solve it by giving them some. They'll just keep taking more, expecting you to keep giving in one inch at a time.

Odd, if appeasement never works, why do I see so many parents trying it? The original 11 flair pens were already out on my table in a cup, with a few sticky notes there, as people were using them for their name tags. It's just that the 10 year old girl had been there Friday night and seen all the other markers, colored papers and various things we used to set up and decorate, and she knew they existed. So she was searching for the rest.

Two, don't be so shy about hollering for parents. Yes, hollering. Naively assume (yes, you're pretending) that if the parents saw what their kids were doing they'd come in and stop it. Some of them will think you are causing a scene and not their precious chillens. Those are the stupid, bad parents. Feel free to not care what they think, as long as they get the kids out of your hair.

Well I would have had to outshout the band outside, and the people were scattered all along a long driveway to the church maybe 12 cars long, listening to them. But in hindsight, maybe I could have grabbed another cousin inside with us and asked them to go locate the parents. It's just that most were busy, one was mopping the floor, two were doing dishes and packing up food, etc. etc.

So instead of having done something like that, I sort of kicked myself for leaving it all unattended and going out to listen to the band earlier. But everyone else had their own boxes and they didn't bother theirs, just mine. Go figure. ;) And I couldn't have put it all back in the car because we needed things here and there during the whole reunion.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
New Because
Odd, if appeasement never works, why do I see so many parents trying it?
That would be the stupid, bad parents I mentioned.

It's just that most were busy, one was mopping the floor, two were doing dishes and packing up food, etc. etc.
So only you have to deal with out-of-control kids? Only you have to care that some of them may get hurt playing with scissors and X-acto knives? If the boxes weren't yours, you wouldn't have tried to keep the kids out of them?

When parents let their children run wild at family functions, counting on relatives to keep them out of trouble, those parents are letting and expecting you to act as a parent in their place. Which is supposed to mean they back you up when you do. Anyone (your sister) who wants to excuse kids' behavior as "just being kids" should also expect the parents to keep a closer eye on them.

You don't dump your kids off on people who didn't ask for the responsibility and then criticise them for taking that responsibility seriously.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
     Question for moms or dads please? - (Nightowl) - (37)
         Whose kids were they? - (admin) - (3)
             Re: Whose kids were they? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Go ahead. Make the scene. - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Agreed. - (admin)
         Two changes - (drewk) - (2)
             Re: Two changes - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Because - (drewk)
         How nice are you? - (bepatient) - (5)
             Re: How nice are you? - (Nightowl)
             OTOH - (imric) - (3)
                 I am generally nice too... - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Ain't radio voices grand? - (admin) - (1)
                         Whenever the neighborhood kids aren't paying attention ... - (drewk)
         You did fine. I don't know about John though... :-( - (Another Scott) - (3)
             I'll see if I can explain this - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Sounds like Trenna was being reasonable - (drewk) - (1)
                     Yep, she was taking charge - (Nightowl)
         Thanks for your input :) - (Nightowl) - (17)
             I guess the mommies don't want to comment. ;) - (Nightowl) - (12)
                 You did good :) - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     Thanks, Amy! - (Nightowl)
                 This Mommy's head is in too much of a fog to offer - (bionerd) - (9)
                     No problem Laura - (Nightowl) - (8)
                         Heck No! - (bionerd) - (7)
                             Taking kids would be like taking wife to stag party - (jbrabeck) - (5)
                                 Kinda. - (admin) - (4)
                                     But you didn't stay with them the whole time - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                         Er, right... - (admin) - (2)
                                             And my point was that... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                 I don't think he was just talking about responsibility... -NT - (admin)
                             I didn't think so - (Nightowl)
             In case you have to deal with these folks again - - (Ashton) - (3)
                 I beg your pardon? (new thread) - (bionerd)
                 I beg your pardon? (new thread) - (bionerd)
                 Thanks, Ashton! - (Nightowl)
         you did okay, but after the first nice try, sharing etc - (boxley) - (1)
             Yeah, a more aggressive approach was needed - (Nightowl)

Oh my God! They killed Kenny!
119 ms