IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Whose kids were they?
You did fine. Your sister is an idiot. It's the parents' responsibility to control their kids, but if the kids are interfering in your stuff, you have every right to tell them to shove off. Obviously their parents weren't capable of controlling them.

Thanks Scott, that really helps. Their parents probably would have helped me too, but I would have had to leave the kids and all the boxes to search outside for them, since I didn't know whose kids they were. Most of the people were outside listening to my brother and the band.

I would have been stern with them the second time they were into things. It shouldn't take more than one indication that they should stay away; that it did reflects on their parents' inability to teach them properly. 10 is way too old to have to be told "stay out of this stuff" more than once, let alone several times.

Yeah, and the 10 year old was motivating the others. She would tell the younger ones to go grab this or grab that from the boxes or floor as I was trying to pack. I saw and heard her doing it.

Had they come back after getting spoken to sternly, the next step would have been to say, "all right, who owns these miscreants, and can you please get them under control?".

I thought about it, but even shouting outside could barely be heard over the band. And I thought about asking to announce it on their mike between songs but that would have called attention to it and made a scene. So I went for Katie, which was my next best thing and my cousin Trenna, who managed to help. I even thought about going outside and getting 7 people to come in and carry 1 box each to the other side of the big hall, but I would have been asking them to miss the music performance and it wouldn't even have been their kids, most likely.

I think my sister just didn't have all the facts, and she's more on the kids' side, like kids are kids and can not be held responsible, I guess. I was just worried if one of those kids hurt themselves on something in my boxes, that I could be held liable, and I think that is what started me panicking some, because I couldn't possibly move it all fast enough and things had been used so much setting up that I didn't know which boxes had the most dangerous items in them anymore because they weren't all in the ones labelled for what they were.

They all had lids, but they weren't child-proof. ;) Just the regular standard put-together-yourself office storage boxes.

Brenda

"When you take charge of your life, there is no longer need to ask permission of other people or society at large. When you ask permission, you give someone veto power over your life." -- By Geoffrey F. Abert

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter - and those who matter, don't mind." -- By Dr. Seuss

"Sometimes it takes a whole lot more strength to walk away than to stand there and fight." -- By the character of John Abbott: said on Young & Restless on 5/19/06
Expand Edited by Nightowl June 26, 2006, 05:34:13 PM EDT
New Go ahead. Make the scene.
You're not at fault here.

If their kids are making trouble like this, the parents need to know. And knowing that the natural consequence of their behaviour is shaming both kids and parents is one of the best ways to motivate the kids to do something else. Otherwise it is just a game between you and the kids, which the kids will win, and the parents will be blithely unaware.

Literally an announcement like this, A group of kids is currently trying to kill themselves with the office supplies in the next room. We'd strongly appreciate it if their parents or guardians would take responsibility and remove them. Thank you.

I think that would result in significant improvement...

Cheers,
Ben
a very rich person should leave his kids enough to do anything but not enough to do nothing. -- Warren Buffett
New Agreed.
She wouldn't be the one causing the scene. The kids would be the instigators, and by proxy, their parents.

Although some parents tend to see that sort of thing as the fault of the person their kids are terrorizing. As Drew said, you don't care what that sort of parent thinks of you anyway.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Question for moms or dads please? - (Nightowl) - (37)
         Whose kids were they? - (admin) - (3)
             Re: Whose kids were they? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Go ahead. Make the scene. - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Agreed. - (admin)
         Two changes - (drewk) - (2)
             Re: Two changes - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Because - (drewk)
         How nice are you? - (bepatient) - (5)
             Re: How nice are you? - (Nightowl)
             OTOH - (imric) - (3)
                 I am generally nice too... - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Ain't radio voices grand? - (admin) - (1)
                         Whenever the neighborhood kids aren't paying attention ... - (drewk)
         You did fine. I don't know about John though... :-( - (Another Scott) - (3)
             I'll see if I can explain this - (Nightowl) - (2)
                 Sounds like Trenna was being reasonable - (drewk) - (1)
                     Yep, she was taking charge - (Nightowl)
         Thanks for your input :) - (Nightowl) - (17)
             I guess the mommies don't want to comment. ;) - (Nightowl) - (12)
                 You did good :) - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     Thanks, Amy! - (Nightowl)
                 This Mommy's head is in too much of a fog to offer - (bionerd) - (9)
                     No problem Laura - (Nightowl) - (8)
                         Heck No! - (bionerd) - (7)
                             Taking kids would be like taking wife to stag party - (jbrabeck) - (5)
                                 Kinda. - (admin) - (4)
                                     But you didn't stay with them the whole time - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                         Er, right... - (admin) - (2)
                                             And my point was that... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                 I don't think he was just talking about responsibility... -NT - (admin)
                             I didn't think so - (Nightowl)
             In case you have to deal with these folks again - - (Ashton) - (3)
                 I beg your pardon? (new thread) - (bionerd)
                 I beg your pardon? (new thread) - (bionerd)
                 Thanks, Ashton! - (Nightowl)
         you did okay, but after the first nice try, sharing etc - (boxley) - (1)
             Yeah, a more aggressive approach was needed - (Nightowl)

LRPD Who Must Be Obeyed.
67 ms