Because I mean not to become the local SysAdmin, for diversion have been looking at these simple-minded amateur works - like this one. Idea was, simply:

IF: I can boot its Live-CD form on (my present variety of) hardware;
if it can detect either the Winmodem-toy (some named versions, it Can! find aux. bits for - amazing)
and at least, default to the Hayes Optima on serial port - with no special config..

If next it has Moz in place (Puppy has)
And.. I get straightforwardly to my ISP! without a single trip to Console..

THEN: it's a contender for locals imagining weaning from The Beast - who have simple needs like mail and general surfing. It breaks? Use the Live-CD while deciding how (you, not me) shall 'fix' the HD install.

Will look into the tenuousness of Puppy "support"; it may well prove to be just a cute puppy for magic games with cheap dongles :-/ At least it also found my USB dongle HD-thingie, with the orig. hP 20 GB slow drive. Handy for sneaker net.

But if'n ya wants Weird:
Check out the Demo of Wolvix 1.0.4 Media Edition. And its presentation screen...
All these came from www.linuxcd.org - neighbor handed me a random stack of oddities; alas, some are only Install versions. Ah well; may lead me to giving the hP notebook some work to do sooner, while practicing Gotcha-avoidance..

ie I'm starting sdrawkcab - as my means of adsorbing the intricate guts, leisurely.

(I also found the O'Reilly Linux treatises to be mainly plodding MAN-expansions == as awful in any sense of Real Writing as were - the two expensive specimens re XP - which neighbor also ordered.) All Doze authors Love the Sucker; elide the palpable Dilemma of its utter Vulnerability today, while dwelling tiresomely/irrelevantly on that eye candy. All while pretending: that a 'home' user really *should* love all those internally-generated phantom- 'Users' and the plethora of AD-required config. madness. Yashure.

ie Will be awhile afore I get around to multi-booting on the notebook, using GRUB without the likelihood of screwing up - given that Doze Must be First-on, by nefarious design.

Yeah.. just How Big *should* my swap partition be? /home? ... yada. I'll find out, but not from anything clever I've read thus far.)

More, as and when. At least, time invested in grokking *nix logic is of some continuing value - with Doze it's like learning abacus repair, with proprietary beads you can't look at - when they decide to change the number on each wire.

:-\ufffd