IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The time to move away from C/C++ was 1995
My conclusion from here would be that it is time to move away from using ints, longs, etc. and use the Smalltalk approach instead. I fail to see the benefit where the programmer has to choose between int and long.

The only time when a programmer should have to pick an exact memory size for a variable is when doing hardware level programming. At the OS level the speed advantage and the fact that a lot of it is hardware level gives a big advantage.

That application programmers are still working in C and C++ is sad. And as somebody who is going back into C++ programming after not doing any since Windows 95 came out, let me tell you it has not gotten any prettier in the past decade.

Jay
New I'm glad you recognize that not all programming is web pages
The only time when a programmer should have to pick an exact memory size for a variable is when doing hardware level programming.

Oh, you mean like, embedded software development. Like what I do every day. An environment where C++ shines (or, at least, has the potential to, were some large fraction of its potential practitioners of a mind to actually practice), and where a Smalltalk VM is about as useful as a toothache.

I appreciate that fact that you recognize that one size still doesn't fit all.
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
     Binary search bug - (bluke) - (6)
         The time to move away from C/C++ was 1995 - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
             I'm glad you recognize that not all programming is web pages - (jb4)
         Not much of a problem - (warmachine)
         T Bray had the same bug - (cforde) - (2)
             Try to have an array that big... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 the difference between theory and practice is - (cforde)

Bit of an extreme case, isn't it?
71 ms