IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Good article but one nit
He thinks that there is no argument any more about CamelCase.

Hasn't he heard of using_underscores_instead?

Cheers,
Ben
The great masses of people ... will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one. -- Adolf Hitler
New Agreed.
I'd like to meet the person who started using camel case in our PL/SQL code... in a dark alley... with a bat. Camel case is a nightmare in a language that turns names into ALL UPPERCASE.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New **chuckle**
What benighted retrograde version of SQL does that?

(Asked by a person who has been "exposed" to SQL in much the same way as one would be "exposed" to chicken pox...)
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
New Most SQL is case-insensitive by default
I think MySQL isn't, though.

Most of the other ones you can force it to recognize case by using double quotes around names. The issue with Oracle is that it stores object names (like schema.my_table) in uppercase, and that's how all of the error messages are returned.

So if you have some object type named SchemasShatterStorage in the AS schema, when you get an error message or need to refer to the type name from some other language (like Java or Perl), it looks like this: AS.SCHEMASSHATTERSTORAGE... or AssChemAssHatterStorage... not what you really intended, eh? Or worse, MyVeryLongNameWithALotOfSmallWords becomes MYVERYLONGNAMEWITHLOTSOFSHORTWORDS... try and parse that quickly. Much better to use underscores because the meaning is preserved no matter what the case: AS.SCHEMAS_SHATTER_STORAGE.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New You can make Oracle case sensitive
And when it is case sensitive, it returns the case in error messages.

But this requires always enclosing the name in double quotes, which is a royal PITA.

Cheers,
Ben
The great masses of people ... will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one. -- Adolf Hitler
New Yep, I knew that.
I forgot to include it in my post.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Thanks for the clarification, Scott
I didn't know about the error message problem. (And I loved the "manufactured camel case")
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
Expand Edited by jb4 June 16, 2006, 01:37:07 PM EDT
     The Semicolon Wars - (ChrisR) - (7)
         Good article but one nit - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             Agreed. - (admin) - (5)
                 **chuckle** - (jb4) - (4)
                     Most SQL is case-insensitive by default - (admin) - (3)
                         You can make Oracle case sensitive - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             Yep, I knew that. - (admin)
                         Thanks for the clarification, Scott - (jb4)

Houston, we have positive capillary pressure.
59 ms