IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I agree with Peter.
Brakes can be trivial, or they can be a nightmare depending on how rusty and how seized the bolts and screws are. We spent $800 on brakes all around for my wife's Corolla (disks front, drums rear). It needed wheel cylinders in the rear, rotors, etc.

They put new rotors on it, but they warped within a week. Rather than taking it back and having to drop it off and pick it up and so forth, I changed them myself for about $35 and a couple of hours on a Saturday. They've been fine since then.

Oh, and on the serpentine belt. Around here there's an annual state auto inspection requirement. If the shop you happen to take it to says you need it, you have little choice even if its just surface cracking, etc. On my old Buick I changed it myself in such a situation and kept the old one as a spare in the trunk/boot.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Serpentines are nightmares on newer cars.
On my van the belt goes down the side of the engine... there's not even enough room to get a serpentine wrench in there properly.

I finally brought it in, and it took the poor guy 3 trips up and down the hoist to get that thing changed, and he had someone else helping him.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New HELL == Serpentine Belts == Heaven
Yes, it is true.

I would Love to be the first person to cut off all serpentine belt from every engine ever produced with them.

But, I'd step over the chance to do that to Kill the sunnombiatch that invented V-Belts.

I love Serpentines for the "flattening" of the front of the engine.

I HATE CHANGING THEM.

I Love V-Belts when it comes to changing them. But I hate the basic tennents of how they work and do not like the failure prone design.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New can you say single point of failure :-)
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Yeah, but they make them a whole...
helluva lot stronger and they typically have 3 times the gripping strength for an equivalently wide v-belt, and typically have less tension than the said v-belt(s), plus they are typically able to "right" themselves if something like a finger gets in the way.

Onlything that would grip better, a cog and toothed belts.

--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
Freedom is not FREE.
Yeah, but 10s of Trillions of US Dollars?
SELECT * FROM scog WHERE ethics > 0;

0 rows returned.
New Wait about 30 years and you'll get your wish
as cars go to 42V electrical, most or all of the engine belt driven accessories (A/C, etc) will be driven by electric motors instead -- at least, that's what the 42V proponents say. And, most likely it will happen (for one, because it's more efficient), but it will take a long to happen.

--Tony
     More car questions - (bionerd) - (16)
         you should ask to be kissed - (boxley) - (4)
             Got one without asking - (bionerd) - (3)
                 Good! - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Hey! I resemble that remark! - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                         :-) -NT - (imqwerky)
         Unless you REALLY trust this mechanic... - (jbrabeck) - (9)
             Nit - (drewk)
             Brakes can be really hard work - (pwhysall)
             I agree with Peter. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Serpentines are nightmares on newer cars. - (admin) - (4)
                     HELL == Serpentine Belts == Heaven - (folkert) - (3)
                         can you say single point of failure :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                             Yeah, but they make them a whole... - (folkert)
                         Wait about 30 years and you'll get your wish - (tonytib)
             C'mon - (bionerd)
         He should at least take you to dinner first -NT - (Silverlock)

lp1 on fire.
53 ms