IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's some powerful stuff you're smok'n there!
Compared to the telecoms Google, Microsoft and eBay are worth beans. Market capitalization is irrelevent here, it is as the morning fog - ready to be burned off in a moment.

What does Microsoft have? Some poorly written and rapidly aging code that'll fit on a couple dozen CDs, and a few buildings. Google and eBay have far less.

What do the telecoms have? They have wire, fiber, poles, conduits, vaults, tunnels, switches, and other infrastructure worth more than the GNP of most countries. They have control of a sufficient number of legislators and an ironclad back-room monopoly.

So Microsoft's going to hang their fiber on who's poles, pass it through who's vaults, tunnels and conduits? Yeah, sure.

Google, Microsoft and eBay - their life blood flows throught the telecoms at the pleasure of the telecoms. There is no contest here.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New See, that's why we have the CRTC up here
They are the regulatory body that deals with that sort of stuff. I know they've smacked BellNexxia around a few times for shenanigans... and their word is literally law in the business.

So far, they've done a pretty good job. Was talking to a reactionary about gov reg up here not too long ago (family member) and I pointed out to him that without the CRTC forcing the telco's to split off wire provision from ISP service and offer it to all (including themselves) at identical rates, my cousin's ISP would have folded years ago as Bell leveraged their monopoly on the last mile to shut out anyone else out of broadband access over their wire.

I just wish they would take a similar approach to the cable companies, but they don't have monopoly status in television provision like Bell does in phone provision, so they get treated differently.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
     Net Neutrality amendment defeated in US House. Good/Bad? - (Another Scott) - (27)
         I thought the beef was network owner provided services... - (scoenye)
         I posted about this awhile back but never got any feedback - (imqwerky) - (3)
             The forum was fine. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Generally, I don't post such things - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Here is the issue as I understand it - (ben_tilly) - (13)
             Think about the leverage of TW/AOL and their ability - (bepatient) - (12)
                 It'll be dead dead dead in the US - (jake123) - (1)
                     Can be dead dead dead here soon as more people do DNS - (drewk)
                 I've thought about it - (ben_tilly)
                 They'll try...and fail. - (Simon_Jester) - (8)
                     Nice dream - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         There is a risk there.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                             Last mile can be overcome - (bepatient) - (3)
                                 Indian Guy from Atlanta? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                     Nope..he's from upstate NY. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                         must be an Industry of their own then - (boxley)
                     That's some powerful stuff you're smok'n there! - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         See, that's why we have the CRTC up here - (jake123)
         Bad -NT - (tuberculosis)
         putting on my provider hat here - (boxley) - (4)
             Interesting. Thanks for your comments. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Other side of the coin - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 I've never had a problem getting Criag's List from Cox. - (Another Scott)
                 wont reply online except to state that - (boxley)
         6/12/2006 Washington Post Editorial. - (Another Scott)
         Richard Bennett interview at The Reg. - (Another Scott)

Nothing like the smell of Nadsat in the morning!
176 ms