IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nice dream
Won't work.

The problem is not backbone. The problem is the last mile. And building a network to compete with the telecoms is expensive to build. With cable or telephone it averages about $1500/house. That figure is fairly constant across many cities. Microsoft's infamous cash reserves would not suffice to create a competing network out of thin air.

Secondly companies are pragmatic. If Comcast slows eBay's traffic, it would be suicide for eBay to retaliate by blocking Comcast outright. Because most Comcast customers are locked in to Comcast in the near future, they are not locked in to eBay. And if eBay voluntarily gave up a large share of its market, eBay would suddenly be faced with not being the market leader. This would get very ugly, very fast. And even in the unlikely event that eBay succeeded in forcing Comcast to change its bullying ways, eBay would have just opened the door for a competitor (eg Amazon) to take over the online auction business.

No, Google et al are worried because the telecom companies ARE left with the power in this relationship, and everyone knows it.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New There is a risk there....
but it's not the last mile that is the problem.

We've shown that ISPs can handle the last mile easily enough. I've got friends that started (and sold off) their ISP business. I've got one now that's doing wireless (he built a tower on his land) because he couldn't DSL/Cable for high speed and he needed it. So he had them pipe T1 to his place and put up a tower and provide ISP service to neighbors offset the cost.

The trunks are the issue. The people behind this are MCI, BellSouth, AT&T etc who own the trunks. They do have a point -- the VoIP is going to eat their regular trunk business (which is where their bread and butter has been) in the couple of years.

And I still say that the content providers can (if they're brave enough to do it) cause far more havoc for the trunk owners than vice versa. *I* have switched services (from Cablevision to DSL) because of poor access. I've got a friend that's switched twice.

And with services like Gmail and others...the cost of switching (not actual dollars, but the pain involved) grows less each day.

Google et. al. are worried. But I think everyone has been looking at this wrong.
New Last mile can be overcome
access to the pipes is becoming ubiquitous...the telcos don't hold all the cards as they used to. Media companies can replace them...and are. Comcast is NOT a telco. AOL/Time Warner is NOT a telco. Between them they provide quite a bit of access. They rely on the big boys for the backbone. Even >that< isn't as much a barrier to entry as it used to be.

Many here are thinking about the development of the net as it was. That is not where it is going...the players are blurring the lines between content and access...and that will continue. Net neutrality is absolutely critical to this natural evolution process.

Of course...this is my opinion. I don't think I would have held the same opinion without the last 12 months of employment in the telecom biz, though. We get alot of "futurespeak" guys to come in...and one of them gave a presentation on the convergence of players in net space...it was eye-opening.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Indian Guy from Atlanta?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Nope..he's from upstate NY.
Written a couple of books...runs a "consultancy". Was invited to speak not too long ago...was actually pretty good.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New must be an Industry of their own then
Guy we had gave a "competetive landscape" 1 day course that reinforced some of my own thinking over the last few years.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
     Net Neutrality amendment defeated in US House. Good/Bad? - (Another Scott) - (27)
         I thought the beef was network owner provided services... - (scoenye)
         I posted about this awhile back but never got any feedback - (imqwerky) - (3)
             The forum was fine. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Generally, I don't post such things - (imqwerky) - (1)
                     :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Here is the issue as I understand it - (ben_tilly) - (13)
             Think about the leverage of TW/AOL and their ability - (bepatient) - (12)
                 It'll be dead dead dead in the US - (jake123) - (1)
                     Can be dead dead dead here soon as more people do DNS - (drewk)
                 I've thought about it - (ben_tilly)
                 They'll try...and fail. - (Simon_Jester) - (8)
                     Nice dream - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         There is a risk there.... - (Simon_Jester) - (4)
                             Last mile can be overcome - (bepatient) - (3)
                                 Indian Guy from Atlanta? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                     Nope..he's from upstate NY. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                         must be an Industry of their own then - (boxley)
                     That's some powerful stuff you're smok'n there! - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         See, that's why we have the CRTC up here - (jake123)
         Bad -NT - (tuberculosis)
         putting on my provider hat here - (boxley) - (4)
             Interesting. Thanks for your comments. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Other side of the coin - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 I've never had a problem getting Criag's List from Cox. - (Another Scott)
                 wont reply online except to state that - (boxley)
         6/12/2006 Washington Post Editorial. - (Another Scott)
         Richard Bennett interview at The Reg. - (Another Scott)

Wanted: Web developer, command line junkie getting his freak on.
88 ms