IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Justifiable arrogance in many cases
Much of what I do with analytic queries you simply Would Not Want to try with MySQL.

Ditto if you are paranoid about your data.

However there is no question that MySQL wins hands down on cost and ease of installation. Its raw performance for simple things ain't shabby either. (On complex queries, Oracle wins again.)

If you want a more detailed comparison, Barry is the one to talk to.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Oh I have little doubt about that.
However, I neglected to mention I was limiting my comment to their brand of SQL. :-)

I'm beginning to think we're coming up against some of MySQL's more subtle and complex limits. I wish I could engineer to time to try my app in PostGres... Oracle is not an option for us, financially.

Wade.
"Insert crowbar. Apply force."
New Oracle is picky but...
its brand of SQL is more flexible once you get used to it.

That is, there are not so many shortcuts. But you can do more with it. (Though MySQL is one by one removing its limitations. There is no question that Oracle is not the future of databases.)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Left Outer Join question - (ChrisR) - (20)
         One approach - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             Some variation on MIN... - (ChrisR) - (3)
                 It probably will not optimize - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     Yep, took forever to run. - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         Nothing non-standard about that - (drewk)
             Pre indentation - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 Bug, indentation can be lost during edits (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
         Does SQL Server support "DISTINCT ON"? - (drewk) - (12)
             That is really what I need! - (ChrisR)
             The more readable version is invalid (at least in Oracle) - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                 Hmm, both Postgres and MySQL support the same non-standard? - (drewk) - (9)
                     Can you please help me find mine? - (folkert)
                     That is a MySQL shortcut - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                         Not surprising - (drewk) - (2)
                             Or you didn't double-check enough - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Also possible - (drewk)
                         I've encountered that problem. - (static) - (3)
                             Justifiable arrogance in many cases - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Oh I have little doubt about that. - (static) - (1)
                                     Oracle is picky but... - (ben_tilly)

Go back to making claims about Wookies and Endor.
123 ms