IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It probably will not optimize
My experience suggests that complex queries without group bys can be optimized. But as soon as you add a group by, that level of nesting becomes "opaque" to the query analyzer which then does the whole group by only to filter later.

The workaround that I've used for that is to stick inner inner queries in that create a condition that greatly reduces the size of that subselect. As you might imagine, this makes queries rather heinous with lots of duplicated information, so when I do this I typically also switch over to writing code to generate the SQL.

In fact that's usually how I handle complex queries. It is a lot easier to read code that produces SQL, and it is far easier to edit. With the query that I wrote above I might write something like this:
\nmy $formularyid_by_drugid_sql = qq{\n  SELECT MIN(formularyid) AS formularyid\n  FROM formulary\n  GROUP BY drugid\n};\n\nmy $full_formulary_by_drugid_sql = qq{\n  SELECT f.*\n  FROM\n    formulary f\n    INNER JOIN (}\n      . indent($formularyid_by_drugid_sql)\n      . qq{    ) top\n    ON f.formularyid = top.formularyid\n};\n\nmy $drug_and_formulary_isql = qq{\n  SELECT *\n  FROM\n    drug d\n    LEFT OUTER JOIN (}\n      . indent($full_formulary_by_drugid_sql)\n      . qq{    ) f\n    ON d.drugid = f.drugid\n};\n

And now I find the structure of the query somewht easier to interpret.

BTW this wasn't the best example of the technique. It makes more of a difference when you have multiple subqueries and/or interesting WHERE conditions on some subqueries.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Yep, took forever to run.
But I did end up figuring out a SS solution using the min function (in non-SQL-standard sort of fashion).

SELECT *\nFROM\n   drug d\n   LEFT OUTER JOIN formulary f ON (f.drugid = d.drugid)\nWHERE\n   ((f.formularyid IS NULL) OR\n    (f.formularyid = (\n       SELECT MIN(forumularyid)\n       FROM formulary x\n       WHERE (x.drugid = d.drugid))))

New Nothing non-standard about that
In fact, that's the solution I'd like to think I'd have come up with if I'd worked on it long enough.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
     Left Outer Join question - (ChrisR) - (20)
         One approach - (ben_tilly) - (6)
             Some variation on MIN... - (ChrisR) - (3)
                 It probably will not optimize - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     Yep, took forever to run. - (ChrisR) - (1)
                         Nothing non-standard about that - (drewk)
             Pre indentation - (ChrisR) - (1)
                 Bug, indentation can be lost during edits (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
         Does SQL Server support "DISTINCT ON"? - (drewk) - (12)
             That is really what I need! - (ChrisR)
             The more readable version is invalid (at least in Oracle) - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                 Hmm, both Postgres and MySQL support the same non-standard? - (drewk) - (9)
                     Can you please help me find mine? - (folkert)
                     That is a MySQL shortcut - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                         Not surprising - (drewk) - (2)
                             Or you didn't double-check enough - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Also possible - (drewk)
                         I've encountered that problem. - (static) - (3)
                             Justifiable arrogance in many cases - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Oh I have little doubt about that. - (static) - (1)
                                     Oracle is picky but... - (ben_tilly)

Dein Glück... ist nicht mein Glück... ist mein Unglück.
221 ms