IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Locked car? What a hoot!
In the Houston Chronical article they mention the car doors being locked and seem to imply that was part of why it was considered a suicide. My first thought was, gee, people accidently lock their car all the time - as such it doesn't mean anything just because the doors were locked.

Well, gee, let's say I'm a would-be murderer. I call the guy up and on some pretext get him out to the car, maybe saying something like "we need to talk privately, I'm turning state's evidence", shoot the guy, put the gun in his hand. I thoughtfully depress or flick or whatever that particular car's locking mechanism is and shut the door. Then I test the door to make sure it isn't one of these stupid doors that require you to hold the handle up. If it is, I repeat, holding the handle on the door up. There we go, car all locked up.

Under the circumstances, I'd think an autopsy to check for foreign substances in the blood might be worth doing. Good to see this Justice of the Peace Jim Richard decided (after he initially made the ruling as "an obvious suicide") to order an autopsy.

He retired last May, and according to one report it was to spend more time with his family. He retired with $30+ million dollars. Now, unless he had learned he had incurable cancer or something like that (another reason for an autopsy), does that really fit the profile of a would-be suicide?

Yes, I know, people commit suicide for all kinds of reasons, some which we'd never consider rational. We had one here not too long ago, and I don't think any of us have figured that one out yet. About the only "motive" I can think of is remorse for all the employees who have been screwed over, but from the reports he was probably the only guy in the company who did his best to question and prevent what was going on.

I mean, hell, have they even looked to see if the supposed suicide gun was his? (None of the reports I've seen say anything about that - it would be a point of evidence in favor of the suicide theory.)
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Easy enough to fake
unless he has people he knew that saw him as suicidal, or he talked about how he would kill himself. I had a friend kill himself, and later on his ex-wife talked about how he researched it on the Internet and told a friend of theirs how he would do it over ten years ago. He had a history of depression and sometimes talked about suicide and death when the depression was really bad.

This may be a different case, the guy may not have had a history of depression or suicide attempts, but may have felt bad about something at the last minute. Still, it is possible that someone killed him and made it look like a suicide. They should be able to tell from the bullet wound, if the angle it was shot at makes it possible to be self inflicted or not.

There are many ways to lock a car door, someone could have gotten his car alarm remote or had a copy made. With a press of a button, the car is locked or unlocked. I imagine that someone with his money had a car alarm with a remote, right?

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New He could have been depressed.
Maybe he felt responsible for not turning things around at Enron on his watch? Maybe, when all the facts come out, he will be disgraced by some of the things that he was responsible for. Maybe he great guilt at having financial survived the Enron collapse while others he knew were devastated.

Who knows?

We simply need to wait for more evidence to clarify the event.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New We don't know that
the details have not come out. What we do know is that he was against the things that caused the fall of Enron. He reported early that Enron was up to no good, he was a whistle blower. It looks to me like the people he blew the whistle on got mad, and killed him and made it look like a suicide. Only a shrink would be able to tell you if he was depressed or not. His family would be able to tell as well. "Yes he was depressed and suicidal." the signs are almost always there.

Did he have anything to do with the fall of Enron? We don't know that either. But what we do know is that he left, because he knew they were up to no good. They apparently hid their debt, and lied to stockholders and the SEC. Now Enron and its execs are paying the price.

New That's the trouble with guilt.
Some people only feel guilty after the damage is done. Now if they started feeling unbearable guilt the minute they start planning their crime, there'd be a lot less crime.

Crime is the symptom of an anaesthetised conscience.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New Suicide note
All the stories I've seen refer to a suicide note, the contents of which are not reported. It would be interesting (and confirmation, of sorts, maybe) to know what was in it.

Meanwhile, suspicious minds like mine still think "How convenient." If he felt that guilty, he could have better expiated his guilt by spilling his guts to Congress, rather than blowing his brains out. And with $30+ million in the bank and a family, he had *something* to live for.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New He didn't do it all by himself
I am sure there were others involved with the Enron mess. He could have testified against them in court, to see that they are punished. As you said. he had $30M, and could have retired and lived like a King in a third world country like Mexico.

The fact that they are not releasing the contents of his suicide note, or even verify that it is in his handwriting, and they haven't released the results of the autopsy, tell me that this is a coverup and they went to the media to help cover it up. We are being spoonfed lies here, I suspect.

New Most people do
There is a lot less crime than is possible.

The vast majority of people do not indulge in crime even though it would be in their material interests to do so.

----
"You don't have to be right - just use bolded upper case" - annon.
New Re: Easy enough to fake
There are many ways to lock a car door,

Please don't insult my intelligence. Every car I've ever owned can be locked without a key. That's the one thing I was absolutely ridiculing in the story. Snap the lever, or depress the button (or whatever the mechanism is) to "lock" and then close the door. Done. Period. Car is locked up. No sophistication involved. No devices involved. A ten year old can do it (and often does to the chagrin of its parents.)
-- Donald Knuth
New I wasn't being insulting
I was just saying there are many ways to lock a car door. The simplist of which is holding the door handle up while closing it when the locking pin is down on the door, as you have pointed out.

First death in Enron case - (marlowe) - (14)
         They killed him - (nking) - (11)
             It is suspicious - (SpiceWare) - (10)
                 Locked car? What a hoot! - (wharris2) - (9)
                     Easy enough to fake - (nking) - (8)
                         He could have been depressed. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                             We don't know that - (nking)
                             That's the trouble with guilt. - (marlowe) - (3)
                                 Suicide note - (wharris2) - (1)
                                     He didn't do it all by himself - (nking)
                                 Most people do - (mhuber)
                         Re: Easy enough to fake - (wharris2) - (1)
                             I wasn't being insulting - (nking)
         Story's been updated at WashPost. - (Another Scott)
         the same guy that killed vince foster did it!! -NT - (boxley)

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!
79 ms