IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is this happening in Oz - today ??
Are you aware of the urban legend re General Motors' alleged plot to rip up all the small + large town RRs and fill em with GM buses?

Subsequent PhD theses n'such suggest that 'conspiracy' is likely a small exaggeration. But bonus deals for local politicos + "progress" BS for relelection - was an adequate de facto 'conspiracy'.

Now at massive expense (here) some light rail is coming back.. but the car obsession has become engrained in the DNA and 'logic' was never enough in any homo-sap decision.

Fight the trend! Unless you want to look like US and soon.. begin to act like US too [???] The numbers (cost) are vastly on your side IF.. Ozfolk don't all lust for a UAV in every hovel - thus will refuse to use efficient, fast public transport (?)

Ashton
New Yes: said documentaary was US in origin and story.
Don't know how true it was, really, but it looked likely.

I really don't know why Sydney ditched its trams. I know their patronage had died since the years before the Depression, but Melbourne elected to keep theirs and spent a lot of money in the early '70s buying land and vastly upgrading the network. They're still expanding it today. Sydney, meanwhile has got one light-rail line, and I presume it's making money*, but adding more are a bit of a logistical and political nightmare - unlike Melbourne, Sydney doesn't really have wide enough city streets.

Wade.

* The media would tell us quicksmart if it wasn't - then too, most of it's run is on an otherwise disused goods line...

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Don't bother Greenpeace with facts - (SpiceWare) - (28)
         Interesting what he doesn't cover. - (Brandioch) - (27)
             He does say - (SpiceWare) - (26)
                 And paper mill processes remained unchanged the whole time? - (Meerkat) - (4)
                     I'm sure they have changed - (SpiceWare) - (3)
                         Industry doesn't have to go away - (Meerkat)
                         It is possible to clean up and keep the industries. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                             Mooned River - (tablizer)
                 It seems to me... - (bepatient) - (6)
                     Sheesh, aren't you easily duped, then -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                         Really? How so? - (bepatient) - (4)
                             The usual; too much of a "Go Big Corps, Go!" rah-rah. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                 Welcome to the big time. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                     Oh yeah, no disagreement on *that* score. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         They're an interesting bunch... - (bepatient)
                 How about a correction, then? - (Brandioch) - (13)
                     Facts, man, facts. - (wharris2) - (12)
                         What really steams me... - (marlowe) - (11)
                             diesel can be very low emission, but not in the US - (tonytib) - (6)
                                 Re: diesel can be very low emission, but not in the US - (jb4) - (5)
                                     When Ronny became President . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                         Thanks, Andrew - (jb4) - (3)
                                             Nah, would've given you that one. -NT - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                 Thanks, buddy! - (jb4) - (1)
                                                     No prob... - (bepatient)
                             Public Transportation. - (static) - (3)
                                 That's not quite what gets my goat - (wharris2)
                                 Is this happening in Oz - today ?? - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     Yes: said documentaary was US in origin and story. - (static)

If for no other reason that historical (hysterical?) context.
52 ms