IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You should have stopped
You're right that I chose to live there. A choice I wouldn't make again, but a choice I made.

However I think it is no surprise that when I made the choice, I didn't consider the risk of being a possible victim of terrorism very highly in my decision process. You might claim that it was stupidity on my part, it could be argued either way. But certainly my thought process was common pre-9/11.

But go ahead. Continue your "blame and mock the victim" mentality. After all I can't stop you, I can only tell you that I find it offensive.

Regards,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New What I find it really offensive...
But certainly my thought process was common pre-9/11

Is the number of people (including our President) who claim they suddenly woke-up on 9/11.

Never mind that the Cole was bombed....or our embassies bombed...or the Oklahoma City bombing....or the fact that the World Trade Center was bombed before. (Interesting statical fact - the time between WTC bombing is like 7 years...why do people pride themselves on no attacks in a mere 4 years?)

The issue of using planes as weapons isn't new either. (Bush's own unit was nearly called to shoot down a plane that they through was going to be used as a weapon).

<Shrug> I guess I'm a little more aware of it. I was 50 miles from Disney (et al) and less than 10 miles from Kennedy Space Center (and Cape Canaveral) and a mere 20 or some from Patrick Air Force Base. I always knew, growing up, that we could be a target.

That all said....the joke wasn't funny, sorry.
New It's a matter of scale
The other events mentioned were a lot farther away and a lot smaller. I did think about the possibility of the WTC being a target when I moved to NYC. But I didn't think to worry just because I was in NYC.

After 9/11 I did.

Growing up I remember worrying that I could die at any instant. I lived next to one of Canada's 2 naval bases, I'm sure it was on the list. (When I say next, I mean walking distance.)

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Amen.
Just outside of the city limits of Albuquerque, when I lived there, there was this mountain.... Any guesses what was stored there? (Hint: Consider the proximity to Sandia Labs, Los Alamos, Trinity site, White Sands Missle Range, and the Air Force Weapons Lab (AFWL)....)

Yes, I knew it was there. Yes I knew it was a target. Yes, I lived there on purpose. Any questions, Ben?
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
Expand Edited by jb4 June 5, 2006, 02:15:49 PM EDT
New do you now take into consideration you might be a target?
I have done so for many years pre 9/11 I chose to live in anchorage because it was a ground zero target during the cold war. Do I think annually casualties of several thousands due to terror attacks worth my freedom that bush is chipping away at? Yes. Did it make most new yorkers (not including you, you have always been likable) put away their nasty attitudes? Yes. Was hugh's humor funny? FUCK YEAH!
I can understand why you didnt think so.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Amen, bro!
All things of importance end on the shores of the Hudson river! :)

Just a few weeks after 9/11, while the WTC was still smoldering, I visited my mother in NYC and walked from her house to and around the WTC. My two sisters live in NYC. And still, Hugh is funny.

Bush wories me more than the terrorists.
Alex

When fascism comes to America, it'll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross. -- Sinclair Lewis
New Bush worries me more than terrorists as well
As for the rest, we have a sharp disagreement.

Cheers,
Ben
New Of course I do
It is not my only consideration, but it is a consideration.

Cheers,
Ben
     NY has no landmarks? - (JayMehaffey) - (25)
         Really? (Lots of images) - (drewk) - (1)
             The Chrysler building! - (folkert)
         Chertoff spins it on the News Hour - (Another Scott)
         Red-blue divide? - (warmachine) - (5)
             To what avail? - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                 Since the money is basically wasted anyway - (andread)
                 I dunno - (jb4)
             That's an obvious 1st impression. - (Another Scott)
             It is certainly possible - (JayMehaffey)
         Maybe they said that because... - (dmcarls) - (15)
             Well, - (imqwerky) - (14)
                 Alternately... - (hnick) - (13)
                     Well said. - (imqwerky) - (2)
                         None taken at all... - (hnick) - (1)
                             :-) -NT - (imqwerky)
                     Hugh, that was well over the line - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                         Ok, don't laugh - (hnick) - (8)
                             You should have stopped - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                 What I find it really offensive... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                     It's a matter of scale - (ben_tilly)
                                     Amen. - (jb4)
                                 do you now take into consideration you might be a target? - (boxley) - (3)
                                     Amen, bro! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                         Bush worries me more than terrorists as well - (ben_tilly)
                                     Of course I do - (ben_tilly)

Bond... James Bond.
119 ms