IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks for the report
And yes, the Thinkpad does have a full-sized keyboard. It doesn't have extensions to that keyboard (like the number pad), but the spacing is right.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
Expand Edited by ben_tilly May 19, 2006, 11:57:29 PM EDT
New Ok, now I'm confused.
My wife's Titanium PowerBook G4 (667 MHz) is 7.5" from the left edge of the A key to the right edge of the semicolon key. It's actually a tiny bit bigger than the distance on my clicky IBM desktop keyboard. My Thinkpad T41 laptop is also 7.5". All 3 of these keyboards are 3.75" from the top of the number keys to the bottom of the space bar.

The Function keys and the arrow keys on the PB G4 and the T41 are smaller than on the desktop keyboard, but are roughly the same. I think that's ubiquitous on just about any laptop. The overall G4 keyboard width (left edge of Caps Lock to Right Edge of Enter) is 10-13/16" while it's 11-1/4" on the T41 and 11" on the clicky IBM keyboard.

I find it hard to believe that Apple's MacBook Pro or MacBook machines are more than a mm or so different from the PB G4. In what way is/was the PowerBook key spacing too small for you?

I think you need to do some measuring. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Huh. Bizarre
You're right, but I have a lot less fun typing on a Mac keyboard than a thinkpad.

Perhaps it is better edges, more clearly defined keys, etc. But I still don't like the Apple keyboard.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     MacBooks are out - (tuberculosis) - (29)
         The keyboard looks a bit 'chiclet' - (Meerkat)
         Anyone else think "ThinkPad"? - (dws)
         I am now a sad panda. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
             Hook it up to an external monitor. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             That's my thinking too - (SpiceWare) - (3)
                 Bigger HD too (80 vs 60). -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     That's the only difference I saw besides the case color - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                         You're not supposed to be looking that closely. ;-) - (Another Scott)
         Re: MacBooks are out - (andread) - (1)
             Firmware upgrades just arrived - (tuberculosis)
         checked one out today - (SpiceWare) - (18)
             cool :) - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                 I'd like the 17" one myself - (SpiceWare)
             Do they have a full-sized keyboard option? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                 Bet it doesn't need it - (broomberg) - (9)
                     Define "need it" - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                         You'll still be disappointed. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Thanks for the report - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 Ok, now I'm confused. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Huh. Bizarre - (ben_tilly)
                         No numeric pad - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                             I don't care about having a numeric pad - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 ah - it didn't feel small - (SpiceWare)
                         I misunderstood - (broomberg)
             On order - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                 Re: On order - (SpiceWare) - (3)
                     It made it - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                         Ooooh! New Toy in da House! - (imqwerky) - (1)
                             Indeed - may you MacBook in good health! -NT - (Meerkat)

They're behind the couch.
121 ms