IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New New machine for my parents
My parents machine (7 years old) is dying. They got a quote from a local guy they know which is below. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated. Basically I want to know if this is a decent system at a reasonable price. They will use it for, web browsing, word processing, finances, etc. nothing that requires major horsepower. The first thing I thought was to ask for 1G memory.

Acer AcerPower S280 \ufffd Affordable Computing at its best
APS280-U-C3600/3601 = $379
o Intel Celeron D Processor 336 (2.80GHz), XPP, 256MB SDRAM, 80GB hard drive, CD-ROM,
o APS280-U-C4600/4601 = $429
o Intel Celeron D Processor 346 (3.06GHz), XPP, 512MB SDRAM, 80GB hard drive, CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo-drive or DVD-dual,

Acer AcerPower S285 \ufffd Power-packed performance
APS285-U-P5170 = $479
o Intel Pentium 4 Processor 517 with HT Technology (2.93GHz), XPP, 512MB SDRAM, 80GB hard drive, DVD-ROM, Gigabit LAN,XPP

APS285-U-P5240 = $499
o Intel Pentium 4 Processor 524 with HT Technology (3.06GHz), 512MB SDRAM, 80GB hard drive, DVD-writer, Gigabit LAN,XPP
New Prices seem reasonable.
The last box is $490 + ($20 shipping) at NewEgg. It looks like it has a nice set of features (e.g., DVD burner), but you might be able to do better.

I would not get the cheapest Acer you list - 256 MB of RAM is too little.

I've had good luck with refurbished Compaq machines. For nearly the same price as the last Acer machine, you can get [link|http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=outlet_store&category=refurb_desktops&subcat1=compaq_presario&catLevel=4&product_code=EL445AAR%23ABA|this]:

Compaq Presario Media Center SR1750NX PC, refurbished
(EL445AAR#ABA)
\t\t
Price \t$499.99

AMD Athlon@ 3500+ processor with Enhanced Virus Protection; 2.2GHz
Windows XP Media Center
1.0GB DDR PC3200 SDRAM memory (2 x 512MB for ultimate performance); (expandable to 4GB)
Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Graphics with 256MB shared video memory
200GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA hard drive
LightScribe DVD\ufffdR/RW drive with CD writer capabilies and double layer support
Memory slots 4 DIMM (two available)
9-in-1 memory card reader, 3 USB 2.0 ports, 1 IEEE 1394 (FireWire) port, Microphone/line-in/line-out
10/100Base-T network interface
Integrated audio, 6-speaker configurable
15.35" (H) x 7.17" (W) x 16.54" (D) (unpackaged)

They occasionally have free shipping, but they don't mention it right now. This box has a much bigger hard drive, more RAM, a potentially faster processor, maybe a better DVD writer, but it has Integrated Graphics and uses shared memory (but the Acer may as well). In the detailed specs it says it has an Asus A8AE-LE motherboard; I can't find specs on the power supply. I don't know whether XP Media Center is a plus or minus... It comes with a boatload of software (much of which may be useless). It has a 90 day warranty.

Bottom line, the $500 Acer looks pretty good, but you can probably do better with some searching around.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: New machine for my parents
you might want to look at dell
for $379 (today anyway)
you can get Celeron, 512 RAM, 160 GB Hard drive
CD/DVD burner, 17" CRT

if you have a dell store in your area they claim to be
able to undercut the web price

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
     New machine for my parents - (bluke) - (2)
         Prices seem reasonable. - (Another Scott)
         Re: New machine for my parents - (andread)

Strong in the elbows but weak in the knees.
33 ms