IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One gripe I have with that
The problem you mention with session IDs. I understand that, as commonly used, they can be spider traps, but they are also the only reliable way to do personalization without relying on cookies, java or javascript.

Okay, that's not true. You can custom-build each URL, but that's even worse for search engines than SIDs. And there's HTML authentication, but ... hmmm, what was wrong with HTML authentication again?
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New HTML authentication
by which I think you mean Basic Authentication, more properly HTTP authentication. From a funcationality point of view the only thing wrong with it is that the userid:password are simply base 64 encoded which makes them easy to capture. That's easy to fix if you're willing to pay the overhead for an SSL server. What makes it undesirable is the bad UI. Companies go to great lengths and spend large sums to make their sites look and behave a certain way. Basic Authentication pops an ugly dialog box over which they have no control. That and it breaks the flow of the dialog makes it a non-starter. The advantage SIDs and friends have is that they don't require the user to do anything--it's automatic. Even better, they don't require any knowledge of the user on the server-side so everyone is tracked equally. Because it is automatic and covers everyone, it doesn't break the UI that the company worked so hard to put together. Authentication is only needed for authorization or site personalization. For all their advantages, SIDs do have their downside too, as has been noted.
Have fun,
Carl Forde
     Arachnophobia - (kmself) - (3)
         One gripe I have with that - (drewk) - (1)
             HTML authentication - (cforde)
         Heh. Side note - (Ric Locke)

Now, with 10% more RAM!
39 ms