IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The opposite is true
I like type systems that work. Specifically, I like dynamic type systems. I like that you can look at any set of bits in a Smalltalk executable and know exactly WTF you are looking at (because of bit tagging).

I dislike shit like C++ which cheerfully tosses all type information into the bit bucket at compile time.

C does this too, but C is a useful tool that is hardware oriented (a sometimes necessary evil) but Smalltalk (and hopefully all application development languages) is a tool designed to be human oriented (as evidenced by an ongoing discussion about array indexing on the Squeak list where in the expression

1 to: 5 do: [:n | ...]

n will take on the values { 1, 2, ... 5} rather than the machine oriented C where to get that set you say

for(i=1; i < 6; ++i)
).

So I like type systems that are helpful. I dislike typing a lot of mumbo jumbo just so the compiler can throw it away.

[link|http://www.blackbagops.net|Black Bag Operations Log]

[link|http://www.objectiveclips.com|Artificial Intelligence]

[link|http://www.badpage.info/seaside/html|Scrutinizer]
New Amen to that
When I read that, an old part of the brain came up with
for I := 1 to 5 do
which doesn't require translation.

Still, Java code like for (ItemVO item: items) is a tiny step in the right direction and enumerated types are long overdue.

Bloody derivative of structured assembly language.
Matthew Greet

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
- Mark Renton, Trainspotting.
     Why Vista is not built on .NET - (tuberculosis) - (6)
         Seem to recall you decrying type systems of any sort.... -NT - (jb4) - (4)
             A typesafe language is preferable to C/C++ - (ben_tilly)
             The problem is that C/C++ has a typed compiler - (admin)
             The opposite is true - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 Amen to that - (warmachine)
         dot-net is a Java competitor - (tablizer)

That's RattenSTEEN.
54 ms