IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm considering buying an ad.
Any issues in doing so that I need to be aware of? Can I limit the maximum it'll cost? I'd hate to be in a situation where a little text ad here cost $100 a month or something. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.

New I think you can limit that.
I'm not entirely sure how it works, though. I'll do some research.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I've done it - Got LRPD?
I haven't seen it here yet though.

It's rather innocuous and is set up to only show up here. If it's not too expensive, I may spread it around a couple of other places - later.

Let me know if it causes any problems.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I've learned a few things. Should the ad appear elsewhere?
"Got LRPD?" is only showing here, which means it's a "Site" ad as opposed to an "AdWord" ad. It costs a little every time it is displayed ("Impression") and clicking costs nothing extra. (AdWords cost is based on clicks.)

The default "CPM" - Cost Per Thousand Impressions - is $0.25. That pretty much guarantees that the ad never appears here. CPM = $10.00 pretty much guarantees all the ads are "Got LRPD?". Google gives statistics on average CPM, number of clicks, and average clicks per impression. It's not real time though.

The ad has had a little over 500 impressions so far, so I've decreased the CPM to make my ad appear a little less frequently..

You set a per-day maximum that you're willing to pay, so that you can have a high CPM without bankrupting yourself. Note, though, that the per-day maximum is a 30-day average. A particular day may exceed your limit, but over 30 days it'll average out. I've set the limit for $1/day, but I will probably eventually reduce that.

So far it seems to be working out pretty well, I think. Let me know your thoughts.

Finally, I'm considering having the ad appear on a couple of other sites to possibly get some new people here. It's not clear that there are decent sites that take Google Ads though. E.g. ComputerWorld, LinuxToday, Kuro5hin, etc., all use different ad services than Google. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Scott.
New I think we're a "horde", not a "hoard".
--
Chris Altmann
New Ack! At least we're not "whored". :-/
New arstechnica.com
Geeky, intelligent, and uses google.
When somebody asks you to trade your freedoms for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
New Thanks.
New I'm confused...
...which varies from normal how?

I takeit that you created a "welcoming" add for IWeThey. Cool. Your post was about controlling the frequency of it appearing on Goolge Ads. Do I have that right? If so, then on to the next question...Why haven't I seen it? I look at the ad banners on just about every page I go to, and I haven't seen it yet...mostly everything I get is about ringtones or Hillary...

What am I missing (besides the IWeThey ad)?
jb4
"Every Republican who wants to defend Bush on [the expansion of Presidential powers], should be forced to say, 'I wouldn't hesitate to see President Hillary Rodham Clinton have the same authority'."
an unidentified letter writer to Newsweek on the expansion of executive powers under the Bush administration
New I had to edit it. It takes a few hours to be re-approved...
New It came. I saw. I clicked.
Brought me right back to where I was (how fortunate!)

Cool, Another Scott!

[Edit: Tyop]
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
Expand Edited by jb4 May 3, 2006, 08:39:24 AM EDT
New It's out on the greater web now...
I bid on some "AdWords". So if you do a Google search on:

python, perl, LRPD, current events, Ubuntu, politics, IT, economics, discussion, Mepis, Debian, Zope, science, health, threaded discussion, diet, ICLRPD, ObjectiveC

then there's a decent chance you'll see the "Got LRPD?" ad too (some more frequently than others). AdWords are free until someone clicks on them (one pays for the click). The ad here is a "site" ad - one pays for each "impression" - display of the ad.

1 click out of 8,324 impressions on the AdWord ad so far. :-)

I plan on keeping it up for a while. The site ad's frequency may change over time, depending on whether I find other reasonable sites to put it on.

If you can think of any other relevant "AdWords" for us, let me know.

Cheers,
Scott.
New How 'bout "Microsoft is Guilty"?
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
New Good one, seconded
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Good idea. Whew! $5 bid required.
E.g. $5 per click bid required. :-/

We'll give it a go for a while, but if it's too popular I'll have to kill it quickly....

It should be active soon.

[edit:] I had to make the AdWords more restrictive or the necessary bid to have the ad appear quickly escalated. So I changed most of them from, e.g., python to "python discussion". We'll see how it goes - I'll probably have to modify them over time. It's clear that getting this web advertising stuff right is a labor-intensive process. :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott May 3, 2006, 11:06:11 AM EDT
New Pardon my iggerance, but what's this "$5 bid"?
jb4
Expand Edited by jb4 May 3, 2006, 04:14:42 PM EDT
New A Google AdWords property = CPC
With an AdWord advertising campaign with Google, you select an "AdWord" that you want to be a trigger for your ad to appear when someone does a search or visits a site with Google ads. There are only a few ads that can appear at any time, so whether your ad appears (and where it appears in the list) depends on how much you're willing to spend - your CPC = Cost Per Click bid. If you're willing to give Google up to $5 when someone clicks on your ad, then you'll be more likely to have the ad appear than someone who's willing to give them at most $4.

This doesn't mean that if you bid $5 you will pay $5 for every click though. There's other things involved, like the "quality" of the keyword (e.g. more restrictive terms have higher "quality" than more general terms), what others are bidding, and some other stuff.

Popular terms cost more.

When I first set up the "Microsoft is guilty" Adword, I was told that I needed to bid at least $5 to have the ad appear. But there are exceptions in the fine print...

More info is available at [link|http://www.google.com/adwords/learningcenter/text/index.html|Google's Adwords Learning Center].

I've also noted that, at least for me, doing a Google search on "microsoft is guilty" has our MSiG forum show up 5th in the list of results, so putting up an ad for that probably isn't necessary.

There's a whole bunch of stuff that goes into these advertising decisions that I didn't appreciate before. No wonder Google has so much invested in it...

HTH a bit.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Recommend form be renamed (new thread)
Created as new thread #254317 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=254317|Recommend form be renamed]
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New Just send it to Greg.
No Google vig involved.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New But then we'd have to suffer with the Fart button...
Any idea how Google's fees compare with PayPal?

Checks require effort. ;-)

I don't mind doing things this way - it's educational, I can adjust things on the fly, and it might be useful for promoting these haunts.

I've added arstechnica.com to the list of sites for that ad, to see if we can get some new visitors using a simple ad like that. I fear, though, that it's too rich for me (100k-500k possible impressions/day). I'll give it a couple of days to see how it goes.

If it gets to be annoying or counter-productive, let me know.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I turned off image ads. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Woot! :-)
     Please don't overdo the clicks - (admin) - (42)
         I'm considering buying an ad. - (Another Scott) - (21)
             I think you can limit that. - (admin) - (20)
                 I've done it - Got LRPD? - (Another Scott) - (19)
                     I've learned a few things. Should the ad appear elsewhere? - (Another Scott) - (14)
                         I think we're a "horde", not a "hoard". -NT - (altmann) - (1)
                             Ack! At least we're not "whored". :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
                         arstechnica.com - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                             Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         I'm confused... - (jb4) - (9)
                             I had to edit it. It takes a few hours to be re-approved... -NT - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                 It came. I saw. I clicked. - (jb4) - (7)
                                     It's out on the greater web now... - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                         How 'bout "Microsoft is Guilty"? -NT - (jb4) - (5)
                                             Good one, seconded -NT - (drewk) - (4)
                                                 Good idea. Whew! $5 bid required. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                     Pardon my iggerance, but what's this "$5 bid"? -NT - (jb4) - (2)
                                                         A Google AdWords property = CPC - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                             Recommend form be renamed (new thread) - (drewk)
                     Just send it to Greg. - (admin) - (3)
                         But then we'd have to suffer with the Fart button... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             I turned off image ads. :-) -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                 Woot! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         I'm limiting myself to once per day assuming regular usage. - (inthane-chan)
         how can one NOT click the fart button? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
             Truth. -NT - (admin)
             ICLRPD (new thread) - (jb4)
         Are they on currently? - (inthane-chan) - (5)
             The ads? Yes. - (admin) - (4)
                 D'oh! - (inthane-chan)
                 Due to the overwhelming removal - (folkert) - (2)
                     I just whitelisted z.iwethey.org -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         I needed to do the pagead2 - (folkert)
         Re: Please don't overdo the clicks - (jb4) - (1)
             Do what you gotta do... ;-) -NT - (admin)
         I love what my .sig does to the Goooooogle ad server. - (jb4) - (4)
             It apparently thinks I like fart jokes. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 Me too, Thane, me too. -NT - (imqwerky) - (2)
                     Seems like they can read your mind, huh? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Knows target market => Serious AI going on there! -NT - (ChrisR)
         I've turned them off - (tuberculosis)
         ads off for me - (rcareaga) - (1)
             It may be easier to make it up at the party... -NT - (ben_tilly)

Didja ever take and try to give an iron-clad leave to yourself from a three-rail billiard shot?
105 ms