IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's not my understanding.
The whole theory of 6 Sigma is based on incremental statistical improvement in the production of large numbers of identical widgets.

6σ can be applied to manufacturing, but in its most general form, it can be applied to any process. [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_sigma|E.g.]:

Six Sigma has now grown beyond defect control. It can be defined as a methodology to manage process variations that cause defects, defined as unacceptable deviation from the mean or target; and to systematically work towards managing variation to eliminate those defects[6]. The objective of Six Sigma is to deliver world-class performance, reliability, and value to the end customer.

It comes down to having metrics for your process, and metrics for the result, and continuously examining the metrics and making adjustments to reduce the deviation from expected results.

6σ is shorthand for a process; ISO 9000 (and relatives) is shorthand for a process; TQM is shorthand for a process. They can all be applied to software, to some extent. They're all based on ideas popularized by [link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming|W. Edwards Deming].

If the 6σ process at work is driving you nuts, do what you can to make it better. Read up on Deming's writings. [link|http://www.multi-platforms.com/Tips/Deming.htm|Deming's 14 Points for Software Development] may be a good place to start.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is suspicious of silver bullets; who notes that Microsoft claims to have instituted 6σ; and who notes that Deming's 14 points would argue against outsourcing and offshoring.)
New I didn't say there's no place for it
I was very careful in the first post to say "When 6 Sigma doesn't work", not "Why 6 Sigma doesn't work".

It doesn't work when you measure the wrong thing. You don't measure the tool, you measure the output of the tool. And unless you are selling packaged software, then the software is the tool.

If someone says they're doing 6σ, and all their metrics are on the tool or process instead of on the product, they're not really doing 6σ.
New Good points.
     When 6 Sigma doesn't apply to IT projects - (dbishop) - (16)
         Well, on the flipside of this... - (folkert)
         Don't knock it quite so quickly - (ben_tilly) - (12)
             Answering both you and Greg - (dbishop) - (11)
                 That's not my understanding. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     I didn't say there's no place for it - (dbishop) - (1)
                         Good points. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Measure what you want to improve - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                     And that should be cost or revenue - (dbishop) - (4)
                         As I recall, at IBM, peer code reviews to catch - (a6l6e6x)
                         You misremember that article - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             Do you think everyone not you is stupid? - (dbishop) - (1)
                                 No. Only when they ignore important stuff. - (ben_tilly)
                     Many elements of software development are stochastic - (dws) - (1)
                         One must keep balance. - (ben_tilly)
         Let's start again. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Your point #2 is pretty much my whole point - (dbishop)