IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Observations
I'm taking graduate level classes. I was in an online Ethics class (has static board like IWETHEY for discussion forums). I write, "this argument reminds me of some of the classic debates brought up on the nature of forms between Plato, Socrates and Aristotle" (under the crazy idea that Ethics is a subset of Philosophy, etc...) where I then proceeded to make my actual point. Cyber silence ensues. Finally, "could you post some links?". To what, I'm thinking? So I post links to point I'm making. "No, the nature of forms... Aristotle, Plato, etc."

Okay, so I'm thinking that a basic understanding of Philosophy and the old dead Greek dudes might be a pre-requisite to studying Ethics, like maybe understanding what a byte or a hard disk is to studying Computer Science... WRONG! You now want Helen of Troy? That's a fairly Spartan idea?

Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New I'm quite aware of what passes for "education" these days...
Expand Edited by inthane-chan April 21, 2006, 03:09:09 PM EDT
New Local TV station did series on edukajion
Asked a group (individually) of foreigners who were 1st 5 US presidents. All answered correctly.

Asked US HS students. Most were able to correctly identify Lincoln as the first US president....
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
New Ok...
I'd flunk that little test. I'd get 3/5.

How old were the foreigners? How old were the HS students? When is American History taught in HS there? I don't recall having to memorize the US presidents when I was in school (but that was a long time ago).

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who agrees there are problems with US education, but being unable to recall random facts at the drop of a hat doesn't bother me. I know how to look them up. Now, people who can't see logical problems in an argument, well...)
Expand Edited by Another Scott April 21, 2006, 03:46:36 PM EDT
New Same age groups ; HS Jr & Sr. (11 & 12th)
While I agree on questioning the value of memorization vs knowing where to look, it did show that there is a learning deficiency. I might not get the first 5 presidents, but I do know that Lincoln was NOT the first president. And Lincoln was named by three of the students that were questioned.

Granted, this could have just been sensationalization of the problem for ratings sake, but still... Lincoln as the FIRST president?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
Expand Edited by jbrabeck April 21, 2006, 04:04:40 PM EDT
New Well, he was the first Republican president, so ... ;-)
And, actually I would have gotten 5/5, but #4 and #5 would have been guesses.

There's also the issue of the groups interviewed. E.g. I'd expect foreign students in the US to do better than the average US HS student; similarly I'd expect US HS students visiting England to do better than the average English HS student on English history. (I may be wrong about that though.) Why? The foreign students likely have more interest in the country they're visiting than someone who grows up there, so they would take the time to learn more about it.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott April 21, 2006, 04:28:02 PM EDT
New Not supported by my experience
US students in Canada were apathetic about Canadian history.

However, that said, in my graduating class every American knew the Canadian national anthem by heart, and very few of the Canadians did.

Make of that what you will.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Well, if you're a foreign student...
...it could probably be surmized that you are either very academic or have a rich daddy. Either way, the statistics would be skewed since the foreign student is likely to be more educated and more well-travelled.
New No, you're obviously not. Or at least, you weren't before...
...you posted the post that started this thread.

As can easily be deduced from the head-banging exasperation you displayed there -- or from the fact that you attempted to tell such an (over-)erudite joke in the first place.

(But if you meant, in the post I am replying to with this, to indicate what you'd *learnt since* starting this thread, then you may of course be perfectly correct.)

HTH!

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Yes Mr. Garrison, genetic engineering lets us correct God's horrible, horrible mistakes, like German people. - [link|http://maxpages.com/southpark2k/Episode_105|Mr. Hat]
New I meant THESE days.
As in currently.

I expected people from my generation to at least have a clue. I obviously hoped for too much. :P
When somebody asks you to trade your freedoms for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
New I could'a told ya that, kiddo.
All ya had to do was ask.

;^)

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Yes Mr. Garrison, genetic engineering lets us correct God's horrible, horrible mistakes, like German people. - [link|http://maxpages.com/southpark2k/Episode_105|Mr. Hat]
New Right.
The next time I have expectations about $RANDOMSUBJECT, I'll immediately e-mail you and wait for a response.

This should be about every thirty seconds, hope you've got a good secretary... :D
When somebody asks you to trade your freedoms for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
     Wow, people are clueless. - (inthane-chan) - (22)
         Prolly your obscure sense of humor had nothing to do with it - (imqwerky) - (16)
             You are not Helen of Troy... - (folkert) - (2)
                 ROFLMAO! -NT - (imqwerky)
                 An Amy of one! -NT - (ben_tilly)
             Nope. - (inthane-chan) - (12)
                 Observations - (danreck) - (11)
                     I'm quite aware of what passes for "education" these days... -NT - (inthane-chan) - (10)
                         Local TV station did series on edukajion - (jbrabeck) - (5)
                             Ok... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                 Same age groups ; HS Jr & Sr. (11 & 12th) - (jbrabeck) - (3)
                                     Well, he was the first Republican president, so ... ;-) - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         Not supported by my experience - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                             Well, if you're a foreign student... - (ChrisR)
                         No, you're obviously not. Or at least, you weren't before... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             I meant THESE days. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                 I could'a told ya that, kiddo. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                     Right. - (inthane-chan)
         Reminds me of a couple of girl-watchers who would - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             To the best of my knowledge . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                 Well, that makes sense. - (a6l6e6x)
                 there is a football team named after condoms? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     No, it's the other way around. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)

Home of the stash-bringing masher!
230 ms