IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You really need to spend some time in the southwest
It really does change perspective when you see it up close.

I could go for a very long time in Philly without worrying about the impact of illegal immigration. There's illegals here, I know it. But in the numbers around here, its not a huge impact.

In LA its a completely different story.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New ;-)
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/29/AR2005092902264_pf.html|Washington Post]:

Virginia is struggling with cultural changes brought on by a rise in legal and illegal immigration over the past decade.

The state is home to more than 200,000 illegal immigrants, up 50,000 from 1996, according to a study for the Pew Hispanic Center. The number of Virginians born outside the United States has grown from 311,809 in 1990 to 570,279 in 2000, according to the census.

A Washington Post poll taken Sept. 6 through Sept.9 showed that in Virginia, 33 percent of registered voters think "the growing number of immigrants" has been bad for their communities, compared with 21 percent who believe it is good.

"Virginia has definitely emerged as a new gateway state, and it looks like the politics of immigration there are starting to resemble what we've seen in California or Arizona," said Michael Fix of the Migration Policy Institute, a nonprofit think tank in Washington that tracks immigration law. "The big political and legal question that is taking shape right now is, where will we draw the lines on this issue?

I don't know how many are illegal, but just about everyone doing lawn-service work, home construction and remodeling, and similar jobs around here seems to be Hispanic. Many fast-food restaurants (Wendy's, McDonalds, etc.) have nearly exclusively Spanish-speaking staff. Most of the big-box stores in the area have bilingual signs. I've noticed the changes.

Cheers,
Scott.
New wow...200k in the whole state!
Mike Fix is off his rocker. Virginia isn't even close to resembling LA. He needs to climb out of that think tank and fly to LA with you :-)
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New Um, they're not all in Norton, VA. 6 kB .imgs
[image|http://www.fairus.org/images/content/pagebuilder/19217.gif|0|Fairfax County Population|236|294][image|http://www.fairus.org/images/content/pagebuilder/19214.gif|0|Immigrant Share of Population|238|239]

[link|http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrph/pdf/spanish.pdf|Fairfax County Information on Spanish Speaking Residents] (2 page .pdf):

Profile of Spanish Speaking Parents and Guardians
Citizenship

.......................Men ................Women
Citizen ..............20.7% ...............23.3%
Desire Citizenship ...72.0% ...............72.1%
Don't Want Citizenship 7.3% ................4.6%

[...]

Educational Attainment
....................Men .... Women
Less Than 7th Grade 28.2% .. 24.7%
7th to 12th Grade ..23.3% ...24.3%
HS Degree or GED ...17.8% ...23.5%
Some College .......10.4% ....8.9%
Associate Degree ....7.4% ....4.9%
BS Degree ...........5.9% ....8.5%
Post Graduate .......5.0% ....1.6%
Other ...............2.0% ....3.6%

Years in United States
...................Men .... Women
Fewer Than 5 Years 7.2% ....12.2%
5 To 9 Years .....16.9% ....23.3%
10 to 14 Years ...46.2% ....41.6%
15 Years or More .29.7% ....22.9%

Years in Fairfax County
....................Men ....Women
Fewer Than 5 Years 25.0% ...28.2%
5 To 9 Years ......25.5% ...31.4%
10 to 14 Years ....35.7% ...29.4%
15 Years or More ..13.8% ...11.0%

The big increase in Hispanics in my county has happened in the last 15 years. It shows every sign of increasing. Los Angeles, OTOH, has had residents of Mexican and Central American origin for a few hundred years...

There are similar trends in Loudon, Arlington, Prince William and other northern Virginia counties. They're attracted by the vibrant economy (unemployment in Fairfax is [link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/03/AR2006040301678.html|2.1%] and was below 1% at times during the .com boom.) Fix is just ahead of the wave. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Do they hang on the corner waiting for work? ;-)

New As Bill says, come to LA
I'll bet that you'll realize quickly that what you're seeing bears no comparison to what I see.

Go visit an emergency room for an even bigger comparison.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     Dear Presidente Vincente Fox - (lincoln) - (36)
         While you're at it - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             s/waterfront/any/g -NT - (boxley)
         Dear Americans - (pwhysall) - (33)
             You do realize that you're talking to two separate groups... - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                 Let the poor idiots keep the rich bastards in check, then. - (CRConrad) - (8)
                     This is the country that elected Bush. Twice. - (ben_tilly)
                     Problem is that the poor idiots are, well ... idiots -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                         The average American can't make the connection . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     It's obvious you don't know your Adams... -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         And you don't even know what it is you don't know? - (CRConrad)
                     "Illitterate"? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         That the best you can do? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             I don't care about the rest. -NT - (pwhysall)
             I'll take a low-paying job - (lincoln) - (6)
                 Bullshit - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                     Lest we forget... - (imqwerky)
                     Why should I lower myself to their level? - (lincoln) - (3)
                         I'll call all of that fair if... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             Doesn't matter if I think it's fair - (lincoln) - (1)
                                 It's been happening for over a century - (ben_tilly)
             Dear Brit - (bepatient) - (14)
                 Yeah, right...And they each get a free house and a free car! - (CRConrad) - (13)
                     I don't think you quite get it. - (bepatient) - (12)
                         Linky? - (Another Scott) - (10)
                             Best I can do on short notice - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                 Combinations - (bepatient)
                                 I already see some problems. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                     You really need to spend some time in the southwest - (bepatient) - (5)
                                         ;-) - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                             wow...200k in the whole state! - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                 Um, they're not all in Norton, VA. 6 kB .imgs - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Do they hang on the corner waiting for work? ;-) -NT - (bepatient)
                                             As Bill says, come to LA - (ben_tilly)
                                     You need to understand Hispanic culture - (ben_tilly)
                         It's an instance of a Western Society problem. - (static)
             pick your own fuckin cockles -NT - (boxley)

Because you should never underestimate the unoriginality of the very stupid.
108 ms