IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: My networking is somehow horked. (Warning, rightshift)
Check that networking is actually running with ifconfig (as root). You should see an eth0 stanza with correct IP info. If that's not there, try running ifup eth0 (also as root) and then checking again.

You're using Ubuntu as the host OS for WMware, yes? I'm pretty sure that VMware is talking to the device driver layer so its independent of any configuration on the host OS. Check the IP info in XP, it should probably be the same as reported by ifconfig in ubuntu, assuming you're getting IP info DHCP from the ISP.

If that doesn't do it you need to reinstall.

just kidding!

If that doesn't do it, check the networking settings control for DNS and hard coded IP addresses for any of the settings and either put in the right stuff, or enable DHCP.

Good luck, I can boot into ubuntu and look up more stuff later if you need.
--
Steve
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu]
New Should've put this in here...
Stuff I've already done:

ifdown
ifup
rebooted

root@neoharvey:/home/inthane# ifconfig eth0\neth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:13:D4:E2:96:F8\n          inet addr:192.168.0.2  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0\n          inet6 addr: fe80::213:d4ff:fee2:96f8/64 Scope:Link\n          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1\n          RX packets:54612 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0\n          TX packets:45763 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0\n          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000\n          RX bytes:44464101 (42.4 MiB)  TX bytes:6055544 (5.7 MiB)\n          Interrupt:23\n\nroot@neoharvey:/home/inthane#

System is running on DHCP, cleared out DNS entries in the System->Administration->Networking->DNS tab. There's a bunch of IPv6 entries in the Hosts tab, and nothing else. The WinXP VMWare session is running in bridging mode, so it gets a different IP address; I think it's 192.168.0.3.

The one thing that has changed since before is that this machine used to sit at 192.168.15.2, gateway of 192.168.15.1, which then fed into the 192.168.0.1 subnet. This was done because a) I've got a Vonage phone, b) the DSL router only had one ethernet port, and c) I didn't have a network hub.
When somebody asks you to trade your freedoms for security, it isn't your security they're talking about.
     My networking is somehow horked. (Warning, rightshift) - (inthane-chan) - (2)
         Re: My networking is somehow horked. (Warning, rightshift) - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
             Should've put this in here... - (inthane-chan)

More fun than a fart in a spacesuit.
107 ms