IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Infoworld's Loss: pbs.org's Gain.
I wonder how many read Cringely.. besides the ones knowledgeable enough to have written much the same (if perhaps, not quite so legibly) ?

It surely seems that.. Billy n'Bally have become so predictable - so mechanical, one might say and I do - that almost every utterance is foremost: laughable, then boring and then aggravating as sand in the gears of yer new Beemer.

BUT (am I right on this?) ONLY for those at least interested on a few technical levels and knowledgeable on several levels (of complexity).

The problem of the persistence of this swamp-gas filled autistic brat and his serfs - appears to be based (by now) solely upon the general and near-complete ignorance of:

All those folks who use his stuff, yet have never bothered to learn even enough elementary stuff so as to comprehend just a bit - of what Cringe is saying (and he writes rather clearly IMhO). And like Pavlovian dogs - they fall for each iteration of exactly the kind of spin that THEY attempt to incorporate into their own Corp advertising! No?

How Can This Be? I mean - being a bizness droid does not automatically require that one check all life experience at the door. Does it? I've tried but - I just do not Get It: that a so-called CTO DOES NOT Get It, over and over..

{sigh}

I had the same wonderment years ago. I think I've learned more since then. How is it that - so many have Not learned more, or even appear to be determined not ever to? I give them an average IQ of 100, like the book says. So how is it that so many are running at 75?

never mind,

Ashton
Sentient animals do not behave in this way.
I've got to be missing something Big.. over and over and
New Trained?
So many people seem to have been trained to not think by the educational system. Actually, until about 1993, Microsoft was - at least to me - just another company; at that point they started some of the more egregious behavior.

When did Windows 3.11 come out? (That was the version of Windows that, as far as anyone could tell, had no other purpose but to break OS/2 for Windows. At least none of the shills at Microsoft could say exactly what it *did*.)

Or maybe it's a PHB mentality? The Peter Principle in action?

You've also got to say there's a lot of very book-smart people who don't have a lot of common sense. The Amazing Randi (who, BTW, is making an appearance at a local college) commented in one of his books that Mensa members were the most likely to be suckered in by phony schemes. (I don't have stats to back that up, but from personal experience there's a grain of truth to that.)
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New MENSA and 'The Logical'
Randy makes sense there. The wonder of 'logic' is that, like the algebra - you can solve problems symbolically, of a complexity such that you couldn't hold all the concepts in clear memory: while solving the er equation.

(This I believe is also the idiocy, fallacy of the so-called Corporate Mission Statement which purports to set out in nice linear thought.. that which is never so straightforward in the dynamics of actual life. It's pure MBA make-work masturbation IMnsHO.)

What every (good) scam artist knows, that MENSA and its numbers is irrelevant to - is that the appearance of a logical flow (?) is indeed bait for such as yearn for this simplicity in all things. Now having a high IQ == liking nice structured problem solving doesn't Guarantee this insouciance about people, motives and scams .. but it's a damn good indicator IMhO.

Still and all - the machinations of Billy n'Bally are near-transparent and not even all that clever. One needs Some life experience to see this at a glance but.. c'mon: these CIEIOs are purportedly bizness savvy and.. surely acquainted with the greed and larceny inside themselves. They are 'sposed to be STUDYING their corp needs, wants and alternatives. They don't have to get it at a glance: they've had YEARS!

And still the same old same old Works. *THIS* is what I just don't get! I mean - *really* - has National Dumbth actually reached the level that, M/Sloth's every aim and utterance about the (supposed but not Real.. next aim) is HARD to understand?

(If it's that bad - how do these people dress themselves?)

{sigh} The Minutemen died for *THIS* ?
New win 3.11 was peer to peer networking
that was the difference between win 3.1 and 3.11 and it was aimed at breaking Wordperfect for Windows, (the little blurb this program might cause windows to crash)
thanx,
bill
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New You're thinking of Win for Warehouses 3.11
Er, Windows for Workgroups 3.11

Windows 3.11 was designed to break OS/2 for Windows, MS's protestations notwithstanding.

[link|http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q114301|MS KB on Win 3.11].

Cheers,
Scott.
New This is a common mistake.
Most people don't realize that as well as Windows 3.1, and Windows for Workgroups 3.11, there was also Windows for Workgroups 3.1 and Windows 3.11 (without networking). That's four products. Windows for Workgroups 3.1 was extremely rare, but I'm sure I saw it or saw it mentioned somewhere.

Microsoft also did a number of unnecessary Win32s upgrades aimed at beaking OS/2. It became a cycle: IBM made it work, so Microsoft made a minor release that broke OS/2, so IBM found out what they'd broken and released a patch for OS/2, so Microsoft made another minor release, etc. IBM eventually gave up, though it would have fun if they'd kept at it just to show the press how dastardly Microsoft was being.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New WFW 3.11 broke a lot of things
WFW 3.11 was also the first one with the new disk driver that set of the chain of events that eventually lead to the Stac suit. The new disk driver improved speed slightly, but broke every non-MS utility that had to interact with it.

It also marked the opening manuvers of the network stack wars that raged for several years.

As I recall, it was also the one where the disk driver had "Experimental High Performace OS/2 Disk Driver" in it's string constants.

Jay
New WFW 3.1 was add-on software IIRC
It was a driver and software for Windows 3.1 to use that SMB client. They also had a "Wolverine" add on that provided TCP/IP protocol and Winsock for 3.1 and above.

They basically wanted to have something that could hook into an NT 3.1 Server.

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New I thought everyone knew ...
Win 3.11 was the Freecell upgrade.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New Don't forget
it also included MS Hearts. :)

"Will code Visual BASIC for cash."
New I didn't know they had one. So that's where it went...
Have fun,
Carl Forde
     Cringely on Gates' "Trustworthy Computing" memo. - (Another Scott) - (11)
         Infoworld's Loss: pbs.org's Gain. - (Ashton) - (10)
             Trained? - (wharris2) - (9)
                 MENSA and 'The Logical' - (Ashton)
                 win 3.11 was peer to peer networking - (boxley) - (4)
                     You're thinking of Win for Warehouses 3.11 - (Another Scott)
                     This is a common mistake. - (static) - (2)
                         WFW 3.11 broke a lot of things - (JayMehaffey)
                         WFW 3.1 was add-on software IIRC - (nking)
                 I thought everyone knew ... - (drewk) - (2)
                     Don't forget - (nking) - (1)
                         I didn't know they had one. So that's where it went... -NT - (cforde)

Pull. Snick! Push. Snick! Pull. Snick!
48 ms