well, the lesser transistorized-level anyway.

Thanks much, Greg - not only al-punte, but maybe all the way to a vetted, patched bootable! Image -- which I considered several stages down the pike!

Finding out (now) the drill from n-Lite (clearly akin to XP-Lite; 98-lite folk.) I expect it will become clear whether I must.. install the .NET framework thing from Beast, or can use their alternate.

Particularly copacetic appears to be the 'Windiz' site (UK), linked from n-Lite.
Are you using their patch triage via a F-Fox plug-in, or your own criteria, d/l-ing initially, direct from the Beast..?

Thus far I gather that Windiz [UK!! - sue 'em Over There, Bally; if you Can..] actually wade through the same stuff we've sloshed - selecting out actually relevant patches / omitting all aimed at modules we won't be installing (OE, IE, 'Messenger' and the like).

Seems necessary to be on hi-speed with actual target machine - as Windiz does an inventory on the O/S's patch state via their plug-in. Seems we can defer patch-install, so that all building is done off-line.

Whatever the criteria of Windiz - nothing to lose. I have only nominal confidence in my triage anyway; the very Titles are often misleading - especially re a patch's redundancy, with SP-2 installed. (And the prole auto-patch thing would drop in some IE or OE build in a trice, with no-asking.)

Love the built-in bootable-image button; looks as if one can do [what, apparently - you most often do with 'installs'?] -- pain&suffering only Once. Test, refine, burn - later, wipe/ re-image.. when the Registry suicides.

That's what I'd hoped to arrive at, eventually.

Mondiferous Appreciations,
I/us

Now, were there only a Group-free lock-down script extant; just a renamed-Admin + one minimal-access User == full automation.