IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New dumb question time, since intel is little endian
and my imac is power pc big endian, how come a straight copy of Appleworks 6 seems to run just fine on the intel mini? Are the apps written to be wrappers to libraries?
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New Rosetta does the magic.
[link|http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/universal_binary/universal_binary_exec_a/chapter_7_section_1.html|Rosetta]:

Rosetta is a translation process that runs a PowerPC binary on an Intel-based Macintosh computer\ufffdit allows applications to run as nonnative binaries. Many, but not all, applications can run translated. Applications that run translated will never run as fast as they run as a native binary because the translation process itself incurs a processing cost.

How compatible your application is with Rosetta depends on the type of application it is. An application such as a word processor that has a lot of user interaction and low computational needs is quite compatible. An application that requires a moderate amount of user interaction and has some high computational needs or that uses OpenGL is most likely also quite compatible. One that has intense computing needs isn\ufffdt compatible. This includes applications that need to repeatedly compute fast Fourier transforms (FFTs), that compute complex models for 3-D modeling, or that compute ray tracing.

To the user, Rosetta is transparent. Unlike Classic, when the user launches an application, there aren\ufffdt any visual cues to indicate that the application is translated. The user may perceive that the application is slow to start up or that the performance is slower than it is on a PowerPC-based Macintosh. The user can discover whether an application has only a PowerPC binary by looking at the Finder information for the application. (See "Determining Whether a Binary Is Universal".)

[...]

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
     dumb question time, since intel is little endian - (boxley) - (1)
         Rosetta does the magic. - (Another Scott)

Beer is better than pain.
57 ms