IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dutch astronomer Willem De Sitter.
An interesting article in the NY Times - [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/22/science/space/22BLAC.html|Hawking's Breakthrough Is Still an Enigma.]
Perhaps I missed it, but I never saw an explanation of Ross's choice of the name De Sitter. Here it is. What confuses me, however, is that De Sitter space appears to have some connection to string theory, but Ross said he thought string theory was BS.
Recent observations have raised the stakes for ideas like holography and black hole information. The results suggest that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. If it goes on, astronomers say, distant galaxies will eventually be moving away so fast that we will not be able to see them anymore.

Living in such a universe is like being surrounded by a horizon, glowing just like a black hole horizon, over which information is forever disappearing. And since this horizon has a finite size, physicists say, there is a limit to the amount of complexity and information the universe can hold, ultimately dooming life.

Physicists admit that they do not know how to practice physics or string theory in such a space, called a de Sitter space after the Dutch astronomer Willem de Sitter, who first solved Einstein's equations to find such a space. "De Sitter space is a new frontier," said Dr. Strominger, who hopes that the techniques and attention that were devoted to black holes in the last decade will enable physicists to make headway in understanding a universe that may actually represent the human condition.

Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Loss of 'Information'
There might be the subtlest of Cosmic Lessons within that thought. Every Sage (well, every one I've heard anything about) has a variant on the theme: Most every 'student' comes to the Sage and wants 'information'. In whatever specific words s/he likes.. the Answer is always ~

Transformation, Grasshopper - not Information..

(At least Lorentz copped to the Transform- part, though he might not have realized he had. A common occurrence, that)

My 2 parsecs..

Ashton
Methinks we have enough of the Information Age already.. to last an Eon or even an \ufffdon ... but WTF do I know? Anyway, this yuga is nearing its end - so they say.
New No connection to string theory
de Sitter worked in GR decades before string theory was thought of.

The only connection is that the string theorists have not a clue how to fit their world with GR. But that doesn't stop them from publishing volumes trying.

Cheers,
Ben
New Thanks! I also misread the comment in NY Times.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
     Dutch astronomer Willem De Sitter. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
         Loss of 'Information' - (Ashton)
         No connection to string theory - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Thanks! I also misread the comment in NY Times. -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Don't forget, I was present at an unexplained mass sea sponge migration!
44 ms