IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Pilot McSally & her lawsuit
She was on a segment of the 60 Minutes TV program here in the US, last night. The Pentagon declined to comment for the program.

First. the Saudi government did not request that the US Armed Forces women wear an abaya - culturally correct clothing. Second, the US diplomatic corps does not require their women (nor do they) wear similar clothing. US Armed Forces women are required to wear this off-base "uniform", while the US Armed Forces men in Saudi Arabia are explicitly prohibited from wearing local clothing. So the rules are strictly the Pentagon's doing. So, if the highest ranking U. S. Air Force woman pilot, with a hundred combat missions under her belt, isn't the one to challenge a stupid Pentagon rule, who is? [link|http://www.cbsnews.com/now/story/0,1597,324757-412,00.shtml|CBS article.]
"This is where we separate our men from our women and we demean and humiliate just them."

Additionally, off base, she has to ride in the back of a car (Yes, women are prohibited from driving in Saudi Arabia) and when walking around off-base, must be accompanied by at least one man. Some man must be prepared to claim he is the lady's husband, if questioned. Sally did not go off base except to travel to another base. She never said anything about wanting to drive off base nor otherwise being an "Ugly American".
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New My sneaking suspicion
Disclaimer: I have no evidence to support this other than knowing how the military (bureaucratic) mind works.

Let's suppose the military is tired of being sent into places they aren't welcome to stand between two (or more) groups of people fighting over who gets to hold our economy hostage to our oil dependancy.

Let's further suppose that high-ranking people in the military have discussed privately the obvious fact that political considerations force us to ally ourselves with people who would be in prison in any civilized country for what they do to half their population.

Now, how do military people (bureaucrats) fight back against resulations with which they disagree? By enforcing the letter of the regulation beyond all reason. For example, when some local commander (true story) writes a regulation that camouflage uniforms can not be worn if they have been torn and repaired, enforce it strictly and rigorously until the commander gets dozens of complaints per week from infantrymen who have been told they have to buy $300 of new uniforms. Keep it up until the commander either repeals the reg or writes an exception to it.

Basically, you can't be disciplined for overzealous enforcement of a regulation. But, you absolutely can not state publicly what you are doing. You'd be up for insubordination.

So if you've been ordered into a country that despises us, to defend people you would rather prosecute for human rights violations, how do you protest? You could always enforce the local regulations with which you disagree. If this causes people back home to take note of the local injustice, well, that's not your fault. You're just trying to get along with your hosts. Of course, you could never admit to this, so you'd just have to keep your mouth shut and let the situation play itself out in the press.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New Thanks for the insight
Makes sense to me. I've never been in the military, so would have never thought of this.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

Expand Edited by SpiceWare Jan. 22, 2002, 01:18:20 PM EST
New I'll bite on that one.
(Disclaimer - I am not one of those sloganeers who imagine that military intelligence is an oxymoron - have met too many quite sharp folks in uniform - as at C.D.I. in DC. Ditto for the grunts - same Gaussian as everywhere.)

Yes, this would be a subtle approach to an idiotic situation - and maybe that's exactly what it was. It would be silly to try to guess whether McSally was YAN instrument of this stealth approach (?) or a wild card. Wouldn't it?

(I'd Like.. to think that any dudgeon shown by the brass in response to her suit - is, mostly, also just good acting. But wouldn't we like to be a fly on the wall!)

Ashton
     Some perspectives: Why Iraq?, what to do about Oil ! - (dmarker2) - (8)
         This conundrum is at least beginning to see some coverage - (Ashton) - (7)
             Re: I was (almost) stunned by Pilot Sally & her lawsuit - (dmarker2) - (6)
                 Don't think you read for comprehension - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Question: - (jb4)
                 Re: Pilot McSally & her lawsuit - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     My sneaking suspicion - (drewk) - (2)
                         Thanks for the insight - (SpiceWare)
                         I'll bite on that one. - (Ashton)

Well, as long as you can bottle it up I'm sure that's perfectly healthy.
89 ms